1971 D half dollar

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by Momof4, Jul 29, 2020.

1. Momof4

Momof4 Active Member

Can someone please tell me what the marks are around Kennedy? I thought it resembled the outline of the eagle, just wanted to see if anyone else saw this or have I just been up for way too long??!!!! 496466B9-1A1B-42E6-9BF8-BC90FED029F5.jpeg C3EE472A-A62C-4979-AF38-FECE330D3275.jpeg A8EB1C65-A847-4CF3-AB95-603C017E3076.jpeg 58D20A3D-E343-49FC-AB93-5A364CEB69AD.jpeg

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. thomas mozzillo

thomas mozzillo Supporter! Supporter

IMO your coin was struck by a very worn die resulting in Progressive Indirect Design Transfer. Although this photo is of a dime, it applies to all coins.
    upload_2020-7-29_2-40-13.png
    More information can be found on this site: http://www.error-ref.com/?s=progressive+indirect+design+transfer
    All those "radial flow lines" on your coins are an indication of a very worn die.

Momof4, Mountain Man, Brina and 2 others like this.
  4. Robert Ransom

Robert Ransom Well-Known Member

Go to bed. You need to clear your mind. ;)

Momof4 and Collecting Nut like this.
  5. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

Yes I'm afraid you've been up to long. Lol

6. A good answer, but what about a clad 1964 Roosevelt dime? Shouldn't it be silver?

Momof4 likes this.
  7. Robert Ransom

Robert Ransom Well-Known Member

Show a good quality photo or two.

8. Mr.Q

Mr.Q Well-Known Member

Good show but common better luck next time. Be safe

9. capthank

capthank Well-Known Member

Please show photo of the reverse.

10. Collecting Nut

Please start your own thread, with photos. Never heard or even seen a 1964 clad dime. They're all silver.

11. I have to figure out a good way to show the coin.

12. Looking at the edge, it appears to be a clad coin, but it is almost impossible to take a picture of the edge. And I don't know how to test for the silver. Looking at it under my microscope, there is a distinct look of a clad coin, but I'm not sure if any sort of picture would show what I am seeing.

13. Collecting Nut

It might look clad but it's not.

14. And you know that, how? Is there a simple test to prove there is silver?

15. expat

expat Remember you are unique, just like everyone else

Are you using a USB microscope? If so, just take a screen shot of the coin and it's edge. File it and then post it on here as full image

16. I am, but I'm using a different computer for the scope. I'll have to work on it.

17. Mike Thornton

Mike Thornton Active Member

Have you purchased a Red Book? A book load of useful information. Unless someone has taken to counterfeiting dimes, it's 90% silver.

18. Collecting Nut

1964 was not a transitional year for coins. It's impossible.

19. But, since the 1965 coins were clad, isn't there a chance that one piece or two got caught up in the changeover?

Cheech9712 likes this.
  20. Collecting Nut

No but it would be possible to find a 1965 silver.

21. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

Yes it is possible. They were coining the clad and the silver at the same time and silver dimes continued to be struck until I believe April of 1966. So it could be possible to have a 1964 clad dime.

A good first step would be a weight. The tolerance ranges of the clad and 90% silver dimes do not overlap. Weight won't be conclusive but it will be a good indicator.

Cheech9712 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted