1971-D Eisenhower Grizzly Bear Claw

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by jtlee321, Oct 25, 2016.

1. jtlee321

jtlee321 Well-Known Member

I came across this today at a local shop while running some errands. I've found a little bit of info at the Ikegroup. I thought I would ask for @Cascade and any other Ike dollar collectors for some more info on it. This one originally caught my eye because of the severe late die state on it, then noticed it was the Grizzly Bear Claw after examining the reverse a little more.

1971-D-Eisenhower-Dollar-Obverse.jpg 1971-D-Eisenhower-Dollar-Reverse.jpg 1971-D-Grizzley-Bear-Claw-Detail.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Erik Soderstrom

Erik Soderstrom New Member

I started getting into ike dollars and find them quite interesting. I am notsurewhata grizzly Bear Claw is. Is it the clash mark on the top of the reverse up by the S &O of states of? Any info on varieties is highly appreciated. I do belong to the ike group. It has taughtmea lot. Still i have trouble finding what i need searching the site sometimes though. Thanks. Soder.

4. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

I see the marks around the ATE of STATES, but what I can't figure is why this variety is called the Grizzly Bear Claw. Was someone hallucinating?

Chris

5. dwhiz

dwhiz Collector Supporter

Maybe they were reading the latested Dan Carr thread.

6. Rick Stachowski

Rick Stachowski Motor City Car Capital

I see some die clashes on this coin and here's a mini article ..
    010.JPG

7. jtlee321

Yeah, I guess it's called the "Grizzly Bear Claw" because of the die gouges at the top of the reverse through ATES OF looks like a bear gouged the die? The die gouges are pretty heavy and it makes me wonder what the heck happened at the mint for such heavy gouges to have happened.

8. jaceravone

jaceravone Member

Nice Find - Yes that is the Bear Claw variety. Several years ago several of us IKE guys found these. I like to think that I was the first one to discover it, but that credit went to a IKE big wig....but I did get honorable mention. Anyway, as you can see, I sent it off to PCGS, then CAC then to the IKE group for the DIVA certification. This is (or was cuz I haven't checked in a while) the highest graded IKE Bear Claw Variety. One of the few IKEs staying in my collection.
    IKE Bear Claw3.JPG
    IKE Bear Claw1.JPG IKE Bear Claw2.JPG IKE Bear Claw4.JPG

GSDykes, charlietig and jtlee321 like this.
  9. jaceravone

jaceravone Member

If you look at the close up of the pic that I posted, it looks like a grizzly or bear had its way with it. When this variety was first discovered, many names were tossed out there. My notes say grizzly as that is what many of us were calling it, but they settled on bear claw. Same idea.

Also, I was well informed on what caused those gouges but due to CRS syndrome, I no longer remember, but I bet with a little searching on the IKE Group site you can turn something up.

jtlee321 likes this.
  10. jtlee321

Thank you for the awesome information! Those die gouges are insane!! I will have to see what I can find on the cause of them.

11. C-B-D

C-B-D Well-Known Member

"When I was a kid I used to eat bear claws two at a time and get them lodged ... RIGHT... HERE!" - Tommy Boy

jaceravone likes this.
  12. Erik Soderstrom

Erik Soderstrom New Member

Awsome information guys. Thanks. I have a few hundred ike's that i got from my local coin store. The owner puts all the non silver dollar coins into a big bucket. At the end of the week he cashes them in at the local bank. So i get a constant supply of ikes, susan B's, presidents, and native American coins to pick through for face value. I will be looking now for this bear claw variety. Good information.

13. Ike Skywalker

Ike Skywalker Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted