1970 s small date

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by Jesse P, Feb 15, 2010.

1. statequarterguy

statequarterguy Love Pucks

Has anyone noticed a possible 3rd variety of 70-s? I've searched many rolls of 70-s's and there were many examples where it was clear it was a large date with the lower 7, but there were many examples that I had to look at several times because they almost appeared to be small dates, but I had to conclude the 7 & 0 were not level. Just wondering if anyone else came across this or were my eyes going after looking at so many?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Jesse P

Jesse P eagle eye

that is exactly what mine is .it has all the signs of small date but a little lower 7 than the 0 and does not drop below thw 1 or o the 7 has no crease at the top and the 0 is egg shaped smaller hole on the inside.its classified so far as small date but still im confused but happy with the conclusion

4. kangayou

kangayou Junior Member

I can no longer see straight

ok tell me this is a large date and be done with it !

Attached Files:

5. rlm's cents

rlm's cents Numismatist

It is a large date. Blunt open 9 and notch in the 7. Nice pictures make it easy to see.

6. rockdude

rockdude Coin Collector

Nice pictures, thanks. All large dates.

7. kangayou

kangayou Junior Member

thx , all the same coin just different lighting.

8. mikenoodle

mikenoodle The Village Idiot Supporter

that is one of the greatest prizes of this forum, you ask, we discuss, and everyone learns!

9. zekeguzz

zekeguzz lmc freak

To me , looking at the hook on the nine, levelness of the '7' with 1,9,and 0, and strong 'L' in "Liberty" I still don't know what size date this is. Can you help me. Is there post mint damage to make it look like a small date?

Attached Files:

10. bhp3rd

bhp3rd Die varieties, Gems

It is, and always will be a large date.

11. kangayou

kangayou Junior Member

When your brain wants to see a coin that is worth 6500 times face value it can be easy to over look some of the rules we have learned in this thread so far. In my 4 photos above , they are all of the same coin using different lighting and probably most important for me was to rotate the coin so different edges of the date were receiving specular light. In my own photos I neglected to pay attention to the blunted leading edge at the base of the 7. That is a clear indicator of a large date ( barring and post mint damage ). The small date 1970S seems to always have a "defined point" at this area of the 7.

enlarge the attached photos of my large date so you can actually see the area on the 7 I have circled.

Attached Files:

12. redwin117

redwin117 Junior Member

Just to attach my photograph of Proof set 1970s with small date and large date.
    My conclussion to Find out is to look on High 7 from the Mintmark of S as Small date. But Low 7 near to S Mintmark i called it Large DATE. I guess this is ONE easy to tell for small date or Large date.

High 7 or Low 7 :hammer:

Attached Files:

13. rlm's cents

rlm's cents Numismatist

I repeat - the position of the mintmark or the 7 relative to is totally immaterial. The mintmarks were all hand punched at that time. As such, they wound up literally anywhere in the vicinity of the date for both the small and large dates. See also post #34 of this thread.

Draft saved Draft deleted