1970 s small date

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by Jesse P, Feb 15, 2010.

1. Jesse P

Jesse P eagle eye

that is what was confusing he called it a possible hybrid because the 9 7 and 0 are small date.but the 7 is a little lower than normal smalldates but it does not drop below the 0.it is puzzling to everyone that looks at it.we will know for sure hopefully when i get a second opinion.its kind of exciting because i cant really say what it is at this point.but i have another 1970 s and it is clearly a largedate.and to see in person the 9 and 0 are completly different.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. rockdude

rockdude Coin Collector

Expert? 42 smackers and he doesn't know. That was the first large date/small date I learned to recognized when I got started in collecting two years ago.
    Oh well all this time and I still don't know anything.

4. Louie_Two_Bits

Louie_Two_Bits Chump for Change

Great news bud! But did I read correctly that the coin dealer, slabbed your coin, put a grade on the slab and then charged you $42? With that kind of loot, you should've held off and had it officially graded by a TPG like PCGS or NGC.

I anxiously await the results to see if this is indeed a new variety! :high5:

While we're waiting, I want your opinions as to if you think THIS one is a Large or Small date. Sorry for the lame pic, but it's the only one I have.

-LTB

Attached Files:

5. rockdude

rockdude Coin Collector

It's a lame picture but it looks like a small date.

6. kangayou

kangayou Junior Member

ditto (about the small date part)

7. Louie_Two_Bits

Yeah, very lame pic...sorry about that; but it's not mine.

At first glance, I thought this was a small, then after I enlarged it, I thought differently...and after staring at it for so long, I kept waffling back and forth as to what it was. :rolling:

So I copied RLMs technique of merging two pics and gradually increasing the opacity to see if the date in question matched the small or large date better.

And although close, it matches the small date better. This technique would work much better if I had good pics. I'll get this sm/lg thing figured out eventually ;)

first pic is small, second is large, the last is a comparison of the three

-LTB

Attached Files:

8. rockdude

rockdude Coin Collector

I was just kidding, that picture was just fine. But in this post you say the first pic. is large and the second is small. It's actually the other way around.

9. Louie_Two_Bits

Oops, yes, I corrected; thanks!

-LTB

10. rockdude

rockdude Coin Collector

That was just a test, wasn't it?

11. Jesse P

Jesse P eagle eye

wow man your penny is very close to the one i have in a little better shape though lol.see your 9 its small date and your 7 has no notch but like mine the 7 is a little lower but your liberty is strong mine is a little weak.my 0 though is a tad bit thicker but your coin is almost the same as mine.with the 7 height wise.my 7 does not drop below the 0 but you look to have the inbetween like mine with small date features.its really cool

12. mpcusa

mpcusa "Official C.T. TROLL SWEEPER"

When you click the image, It now doubles in size so we can
    Now get a better look at it :)

13. Louie_Two_Bits

THAT would be cool; to have a new variety.

JP, I don't think you ever mentioned where you found yours? Did you get it in change, or did you purchase it?

-LTB

14. Jesse P

Jesse P eagle eye

o im so sorry,lol i got it in a penny roll from a bank in ohio.i like finding wheat pennies and such circulated but stumbled across it .it is circulated with little or no wear.but dark brown.

15. Jesse P

Jesse P eagle eye

good and bad news!!!!it is a small date penny for sure.that was the bad news.the good news is it may be the first of a new line of hard to find coins.it has all small date features with 2 other features.a low small date 7 a small date nine.a small date 0. the 7 is a little lower than regular small date.but is even with 1 and 0.and my d mint is stamped unusualy high even for hand stamped.i was told they dont know what its worth because noother like it has been found to there knowledge.the differences are subtle but there.i need to see more pop up so we can get a value on it.and whoever posted the pic of the one on this column it is the same as mine and in better shape so get it looked at lol see ya all!!!!and thanks for all your help!!!!

16. kangayou

kangayou Junior Member

They will one day dub it "The Jesse P Hybrid" !

17. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

Jesse, I have to ask who was giving this explanation to you. My confusion comes from the published info that there were 2 master dies for 1970, the small date and the large date. According to Daughtrey, the hubbings from the 2 master dies were only used in San Francisco, and so only 70S cents have been found in large and small dates. There was no wiggle room for hybrids. He does say
    He also writes
    Your comment

doesn't seem possible ( no offense intended). Does yours have the crease in the 7 ? Maybe the same die wear situations for the the P and D has caused the variations in the date of yours.

Jim

18. mikenoodle

mikenoodle The Village Idiot Supporter

While I was reading this thread, I had a thought (lonely as it was) and hit upon an idea.

I have become quite adept at discerning the difference between a small date and a large date, but I started looking at a small date proof coin and the diagnostics were different from the circulation strike diagnostics.

Can anyone check the diagnostics on this coin and compare it against a small date proof? Maybe this coin is a mule made with proof dies?

19. rlm's cents

rlm's cents Numismatist

I don't see any differences between the proof and business except that teh LIBERTY is much less definitive. Look for yourself;
    http://lincolncentresource.com/smalldates/1970Ssmalldate.html

20. Jesse P

Jesse P eagle eye

it is classified as a small date.but the numbers dont match perfectly with a large date for sure.but the strange part is they dont match the small date very well either.the 7 has no line at the joint.the 9 is hooked and the 0 is thick with smaller hole.the only part that does not fit is the 7.it is lower than the 0 like a large date but the 7 does not come lower than the 0.it is actually shorter.the coin is circulated though.im happy with it being classified as a small date.

21. mikenoodle

mikenoodle The Village Idiot Supporter

IMHO they are different, rlm.

Look at the curl of the 9 and where it points to the 7 on the proof versus the unc. On the unc it points more toward the center of the 7 on the proof it points to the bottom end.

The very thing that the page that you linked to points out.

Draft saved Draft deleted