1970 s small date

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by Jesse P, Feb 15, 2010.

1. Louie_Two_Bits

Louie_Two_Bits Chump for Change

Yeah, based on the best pic you provided, that's a large date.

But that's just what I'm seeing; I hope I'm wrong.

-LTB

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. cerdsalicious

cerdsalicious BigShot

4. kangayou

kangayou Junior Member

Large
    the top of the 7 is lower than the top of the 0.

5. Jesse P

Jesse P eagle eye

6. Jesse P

Jesse P eagle eye

hey guys!got a update!!!i was so confused about this penny i took it to a local coin dealer and he just happened to have one for sale.he looked at mine for a while and compared his to mine and another large date i have.he explained that the hook on the nine will point at the top of the s mint mark if large date.it will point at the bottom of the 7 on small date.mine does not have the crease in the 7 and the1 7 0 are all the same in size.the liberty he questioned because it is faint but not as faint as his but definatly not stamped strong.he says it very well could be a small date but to be sure he said to double check with a grading expert he knows.i cant wait to see what happens

7. rockdude

rockdude Coin Collector

8. jallengomez

jallengomez Cessna 152 Jockey

I would forget everything but the crease in the 7. It either has it or it doesn't. This is a fail-safe means of telling the two apart on coins that aren't heavily worn.

9. Jesse P

Jesse P eagle eye

10. Jesse P

Jesse P eagle eye

it does not have a crease in the 7 the 7 is a very small i mean minute lower than the 9 but a large date i have is a lot lower.also the large date i have the bottom of the 7 hangs below the 0 this pic shows it does not go below the 0 not even close and the dealer also said to look at the way the seven is made .the first line that you would start to wright a 7 is different between the two.a large date is longer with slight hook at the end small date is flat on the end and shorter.i didnt even notice until he pointed it out.i will post if its legit sometime tomorrow evening.i wont get my hopes up but its a good possibility it is a small date.

11. rlm's cents

rlm's cents Numismatist

Your date.

Attached Files:

12. Jesse P

Jesse P eagle eye

one other note i forgot was he said the 0 in a small date the top of it is egg shaped and the large date is round.that was another thing i didnt notice until he showed me.and comparing the two the one i assume is a small date is eggshaped at the top.

13. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

Take a look at this page. I don't care for the liberty difference,as it is somewhat variable. The crease in the 7, and the inside of the 9. You can see a difference on the inside of the "0" here, but I think it is more "ellipse" (small ) and "oval" (large).

http://www.lincolncentresource.com/smalldates/1970Ssmalldate.html

Jim

14. Louie_Two_Bits

The pics are pretty terrible, but using the one that RLM enlarged and the pics from lincolncentersource.com, I came up with a comparison based on date and mint mark alone.

I stand by my original statement in saying this is a large date. Here's why...

- Look at the 7, it's clearly lower
    - The 9 doesn't have the tight hook
    - The 0 seems to be skinny
    - The S mint mark is much closer to the 9, unlike the small where it seems further from the 9

Sheesh, I want to shake the hand of the collector who originally discovered the 1970 small/large variants...a true pair of eagle eyes for sure!

-LTB

Attached Files:

15. rlm's cents

rlm's cents Numismatist

I have no idea how you can be sure about either the 7 or the 9, but the "skinny" 0 is a small date. The S mintmark is totally immaterial. This is when the mintmarks were hand punched. The position of the mintmark could be anywhere for either the large or small dates.

16. Louie_Two_Bits

I can see the 7 is clearly lower, the 9 is not absolute because of the picture quality, but appears to point at the mint mark. I didn't know the mint marks were hand punched :whistle:, I was just going by the pics...but you're right, immaterial here. I see the 0 on a small date as fat, like a donut with a smaller hole. But this is just my opinion based on these observations while trying to learn.

But when it comes to coins, I'm wrong more times than I'm right...so let's see if I can put a notch in the "I'm right" category on this one as I await Jesse Ps results :eating:

-LTB

17. rlm's cents

rlm's cents Numismatist

Hey, louie, you did a good job of sizing my date image from the op's picture. I overlaid you picture on itself and played with the opacity (I guess that is a word). I would post the result here, but op's pic is so fuzzy, you have to keep playing wing the opacity to see it. Anyway, it overlays perfectly with the small date and is definitely different than the large date.

18. Louie_Two_Bits

:confused: :bigeyes: :eek:

Whelp, I'm happy for Jesse P in that he has a small date, but I'm bummed because I was wrong...right when I think analyzing this stuff is starting to click... :eek: Ah, I'll just have to wait for another opportunity for the hash mark in the I'm right category :D

-LTB

19. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

It is still a blurry photo ( Jesse, no criticism of your trying, many don't have a close focusing camera) but I still don't see the curl of the 9 indicating a small date.

20. Jesse P

Jesse P eagle eye

hey guys got kind of results!!!lol i took it today to a man in columbus ohio who is a expert on all pennies and he graded the coin and put it in a case for like 42 dollers and some change.the one problem we still dont know if its a large or small date!he has never seen this before.the 7 has no notch,the 7 is lower slightly than the o but does not drop below the o.also it does have the hook and the slight ware in liberty and in trust.he said it needs to be sent now to somebody else sheesh this never ends.he said it is infact a small date with a little lower 7 than normal but wants to be 100 percent sure so he is getting a second opinion.the 9 and 7 show proof.the top of 7 is a little low and the mint mark he said is no reference point as was stated it was hand punched.guys im sorry but it will be a few days until we know for 100 percent sure it is real.but its classified as veryfine condition.no mu condition because it was circulated.

21. kangayou

kangayou Junior Member

I was thinking about your coin this morning and what a cool thing it would be if you discovered a new variety !

Draft saved Draft deleted