1970-S Small Date Lincoln

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by BUncirculated, Mar 10, 2013.

1. BUncirculated

BUncirculated Well-Known Member

Picked this up today at the local R.A.C.E. show:

17970_S_smdt.JPG 17971.jpg 17972.jpg 17973.jpg

Plucked right out of an 1970 P-D-S uncirculated Mint Set.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. digitect

digitect New Member

Nice, looks SD to me.

4. kookoox10

kookoox10 ANA #3168546

Great pick, I found the 70-s SD proof in the same fashion. How much did you buy the set for?

5. BadThad

BadThad Calibrated for Lincolns

Nice one...definately a SD.

6. therocktjb

therocktjb Wait, what**

Great score BU! I've pulled my two in the same fashion. I just need to find the Proof one now, and my memorial cents will be complete I think.

7. mikenoodle

mikenoodle The Village Idiot Supporter

Is it just me, or do I think that the 70-S SD Mint Set sells for more of a premium than the cent itself?

I guess what I am saying is that I would have kept the set intact.

8. Prime Mover

Prime Mover Active Member

Keep an eye out on the 'Bay... you can find them every so often in a normal proof set if you look at those who aren't a coin dealer. I've plucked I think 5 of them that way so far in the past year, all for about an average of $10 a set.

BTW - I ran out of staples tonight putting your stuff together, will pick up some more and finish tomorrow.

9. BUncirculated

BUncirculated Well-Known Member

The dealer I bought it from, was in the process of taking it from the P D & S set, he wanted $65, sold it to me for $50. According to PCGS MS64 RD is at $70.

10. 19Lyds

19Lyds Member of the United States of Confusion

Very Cool pickup! Congrats! :thumb:

11. therocktjb

therocktjb Wait, what**

I'm going to have to do that, thanks for the tip. And no worries on the cents, whenever you've finished is good for me!

12. cladking

cladking Coin Collector

Nice specimen!

Believe it or not this is only a little better than most of the smalldate cents used to be in the mint sets. But nice ones have been removed so much that this is about the nicest you'll see any longer if you can find one at all. They were about 10% of mint set mintage.

Draft saved Draft deleted