1970 S Small Date Lincoln Cent

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by ekdahlj, May 21, 2010.

1. Louie_Two_Bits

Louie_Two_Bits Chump for Change

Yup, small date for sure...the pointed-tiped 9 with the hooks, the high 7 and the weakly struck LIBERTY are the tell tale signs.

25 cents! You lucky dog. I got mine for $10 and I was thrilled; but 25 cents...I'm jealous :)

-LTB

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. saltysam-1

saltysam-1 Junior Member

I would stop reading this for further opinions and get your butt over there and buy it.

4. Numismatist47

Numismatist47 New Member

Let's put it this way:

If it's a large date, with a low 7, its worth about $.35 MS
    $1 PR.

If it's a small date, high 7, between $40-$50 MS; $60 PR.

5. ekdahlj

ekdahlj Junior Member

Thanks for all of the help on this. I think it's very interesting that such a small difference can be such a big difference.

6. abe

abe LaminatedLincolnCollector

:smile I just recieved 3 unc. rolls of 70-S Lincolns, and 1 roll unc. 69-S. The 70-S rolls have lg. date on the wrappers. So far their right, 2 rolls to go...:vanish:

7. Louie_Two_Bits

He did buy it...unless he took pics of it in the coin shop :goofer:

I wish I had a coin shop that wasn't knowledgeable enough to tell difference between a large and small date, and sold their coins accordingly ;)

-LTB

8. abe

All lg. dates, dang. Plenty of MD's though...

9. Louie_Two_Bits

Ah too bad...I too would love to find a 70s SD in the wild.

This is the second acronym today that I dont know what it is :rolling:...what is an MD?

-LTB

10. abe

Medical Doctor:goofer: or Machine Doubling:hail:

11. ekdahlj

ekdahlj Junior Member

I did buy the coin because I figured it was a good buy either way at 25 cents. It was one of those coin shops that looked like an episode of Hoarders. There was stuff stacked everywhere and I wasn't quite sure if I was going to come out alive. Am I going to go back next week - - -of course!

12. HUFF-MAN

HUFF-MAN Junior Member

Nice Coins

Good looking Pennies!!

13. HUFF-MAN

HUFF-MAN Junior Member

Thats what she said.

14. jaguarjo

jaguarjo Junior Member

thank you

that is amazing i have been looking at these cents for 40 years and thank god you have showed me the differents . now i can go on to my next delima thank you again

15. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

In 1970 my dad won a gallon can of 70S cents in a guess how many are in the can contest. I was young and probably didn't know about the small date. That was a lot of money to my family at the time but dad let me keep about ten rolls.
    I still have those rolls but have never checked them. Don't want to know.

Just for fun I was playing with the math on this. I would guess the can would hold about a bag of 5000. If they were all small dates, that's 100K+ today.
    Crazy stuff.

16. Marshall

Marshall Junior Member

Mintmarks are NOT a good indicator. They vary significantly on both Large and Small dates. You must look to other markers. The curve of the 9, the height of the 7 in relation to the 1 and 0 and the poorly struck LIBERTY on the Small Date. The MM will throw you off.

17. CopperJacket

CopperJacket New Member

I wish I could get that lucky... I've been scouring all over for a high 7 but still haven't found one.

Nice find!
    C.J.

18. james m. wolfe

james m. wolfe New Member

19. Lon Chaney

Lon Chaney Well-Known Member

My thoughts exactly. Bit of a blast from the past.

20. BadThad

BadThad Calibrated for Lincolns

That's definately a small date.....great snag for 25 cents!!!!

21. Stang1968

Stang1968 Member

Nice find for $.25! I think it looks like a small date too. The 9 in the date gives it away. I don't pay attention to the "weak liberty"- Just the shape of the 9 and 0.

Draft saved Draft deleted