1970 S sm/lg date how to tell?

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by shy, Apr 17, 2015.

1. shy

shy Member

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg I am not seeing the difference between sm and lg date it seems to be such a minute variation that determines which.... Is there a cheat or a trick ... It's literally driving me nuts . I'm obsessed with figuring this out and I have been up all night ... Lol.. I feel like a hungover college kid who just tried cramming for an exam only to fall asleep during the testing ... Right after I wrote my name
    Help please

Mikey Zee likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. rlm's cents

rlm's cents Numismatist

paddyman98 likes this.
  4. shy

shy Member

Thank you soooo much ... The conundrum has been solved. I seriously should have just posted and asked here first and avoided this headache .. Lol

KurtS and paddyman98 like this.
  5. coop

coop Senior Member

The first thing I look for on these is the location of the bottom of the 7. If it looks below the 1 & 0 is is a large date:
    [​IMG]
    There are more diagnostics for the small date:
    [​IMG]

ldhair, KurtS and rlm's cents like this.
  6. rlm's cents

rlm's cents Numismatist

Ans COOP has such wonderful pictures again.

7. KurtS

KurtS Die variety collector

The 70-S small date is very tough to find in circulation, especially now. Before people started hoarding copper, the regular 70-S was very common in rolls on the west coast. I must have looked for 10+ years without finding a single one. They're much easier to find in 1970 mint/proof sets--where I have found all of mine.

8. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

I can agree with Kurt on that, I went through an original bag of 70-S cents a few years ago ( thread here someplace) and 5000 Large dates, 0 small dates :( I had to eventually buy one myself.

KurtS likes this.
  9. KurtS

KurtS Die variety collector

Yeah...it can be a practice in frustration. I also suspect those few SDs in circulation actually came from mint sets.

10. 19Lyds

19Lyds Member of the United States of Confusion

I try to remember that little doodah in the nine as: If it points to the Mint Mark, then its a Large Date. If it points to the 7, then its a small date.

The shape is different, as pointed out, with the small date 9, coming to a noticeable point.

1970-S Proof Set 2015-003c.JPG

11. bstod

bstod Member

Is this the same for the 1982 large and small dates?

12. rlm's cents

rlm's cents Numismatist

Draft saved Draft deleted