1970 S pennies. Large or small dates

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by Sheila Ruley, Dec 13, 2015.

1. Sheila Ruley

Sheila Ruley The short blonde girl

20151211_154118_HDR-1.jpg 20151211_153816_HDR-1.jpg Here is 4 different 1970 S pennies. I can't tell the difference. Even when I look online or in the red book. I know the small has a high 7, but I can't judge that by just looking at it. Please help!

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. coinman1234

coinman1234 Not a Well-Known Member

Sorry, They all look like the large date :(

I still have yet to find one.

[​IMG]

Endeavor and Markus1959 like this.
  4. Sheila Ruley

I hope I find something significantly worth SOMETHING one day. But hey, I love doing this anyway. Thank you for your help. I have the 2016 red book now. I can see the difference in the pictures but not without the lines.

5. Markus1959

Markus1959 Well-Known Member

000_3366.jpg
    I actually did and it didn't have anything to do with coins ??

6. coinman1234

coinman1234 Not a Well-Known Member

Cool stick bug, I haven't seen any in awhile.

Amos 811, Markus1959 and Endeavor like this.
  7. Markus1959

I find them only in the summer - this one actually was on my porch - I took it out back - 400 feet from the house into the woods!

Endeavor likes this.
  8. Markus1959

And my German Shepard - hope this aint a problem!!

000_0003.JPG

Attached Files:

bdunnse and Endeavor like this.
  9. Markus1959

000_3624.jpg
    And yes- Annie is so allowed on the couch to watch TV! LOL!

Endeavor and Sheila Ruley like this.
  10. Sheila Ruley

I had a bird named diamond. He was 15 years old when he died. I also had a white albino rat named lucky. Lol, I have had strange animals. Lucky loved to Chase you like a dog does and play hide and seek. Diamond would sing hush little baby and say mamma! He walked around and never learned how to fly. He also would follow you wherever you would go. I can't have dogs or cats

Markus1959 and Endeavor like this.
  11. Endeavor

Endeavor Well-Known Member

It's not as easy to tell the large and small dates apart on the 1970 (as opposed to other dates such as 1960 and 1982, for example), but once your eyes get trained on it you will know without question. It just takes time to get used to it. For now there is no problem asking in here. Besides it's nice to see the photos :joyful:

Sheila Ruley likes this.
  12. Endeavor

I'm calling PETA! Haha, just kidding. Nice dog and helmet.

Markus1959 likes this.
  13. Eric Schlenz

Eric Schlenz Member

I've found several 1970 S coins while roll hunting, but not the small date yet. I seem to find one 1970 S in every 8 or so rolls I go through. The difference between the small and large date is pretty difficult to discern. I end up staring at it for a few minutes through my 10x magnifying glass, hoping my eyes aren't tricking me into thinking I've got a small date. No luck so far though.

Amos 811 and Sheila Ruley like this.
  14. Endeavor

The two things I do is scroll across the top of all the numbers. Left to right then back right to left. If the seven is sunken it's large. To confirm I then look at the bottoms of the 7 and 0. If the seven is lower then there's no doubt left.

Sheila Ruley likes this.
  15. Sheila Ruley

Thank you. I am getting a bit better. I am now seeing a pattern with them. I am learning the proper terms and what they mean. I take pictures with my phone through a magnifying glass. I am getting a microscope.

Endeavor likes this.
  16. Sheila Ruley

I have 20x glasses with a light on them.

17. Sheila Ruley

Ok, that is something I haven't heard before. Thant is really good! Thank you!

18. Twobit

Twobit Active Member

1970's small dates are quite difficult these are the pics I used to get familiar with the differences,But one of the easiest ways to tell,And I don't remember where I read it but if you look at the corner of the seven (large date has a crease) small date does not and I have yet to see a small date with a crease.
    http://lincolncentresource.com/smalldates/1970Ssmalldate.html

Endeavor and Amos 811 like this.
  19. Sheila Ruley

Thanks!

20. bdunnse

bdunnse Who dat?

For comparison purposes, the 1970 P and D are both large date.

Endeavor likes this.
  21. Sheila Ruley

OK. Good to know.

Draft saved Draft deleted