1970 S mint mark error?

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by TB Coins, Feb 22, 2017.

1. TB Coins

TB Coins New Member

I have (3) 1970 S Nickels and all 3 seem to have slightly different mint marks. The Nickel on the far right seems to have the MM too high and too close to his hair? Could this be a mint mistake? The left nickel has a fat S while the low Nickel has a tiny S. Just looking for some feedback. Thank you in advance.

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. rickmp

rickmp Frequently flatulent.

In 1970, mint marks were punched into the individual dies by hand. Their placement will vary from die to die. The depth of the punch will vary from die to die causing a difference in size. No errors there.

paddyman98 and Sheila Ruley like this.
  4. Ricky Bobby

Ricky Bobby New Member

You said the mint where punched in by hand in 1970 .. maybe you can help me out on this one idk I haven't seen anything on this but I have a 1970 S over S nickel and a good S over S really easy to see the bottom S sticking out from the other.. anyhow I thought maybe I could be wrong but iv had 4 other collector's look at it and they all say the same thing that it's a S over S . Wish I had a pic of it but if you like here's my email and I'll send a pic plus I'd like to hear back from your. Also have a Mercury S dime that's a 194 and that's it but you can look with your coin eye and see that it's struck on a different coin from a different country.. about to send that one in to be identified by mint. Here's my email , edited

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 6, 2017
Draft saved Draft deleted