1970 S Lincoln DDO FS-101

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Steve Hill, Feb 24, 2020.

1. Steve Hill

Steve Hill New Member

I found this on Ebay last month, as a Lincoln double die collector and knowing I would never own a 69 S DDO I considered this my best shot at owning a true rarity. I didn't pay the listing price of $2,300 like PCGS verify states, the seller accepted my best offer, but I paid much more than the $600.00 value that PCGS has on it. I'm wondering if more experienced collectors here believe this coin to be a good investment or will it always lay stagnant compared to the 69 S DDO even though both have populations of about 60 known total.

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

I'm sure that individual collectors have their own idea of what it may be worth. If you think it is worth what you paid, that is all that matters. However, please don't look at it as an investment. It may take many, many, many years for you to realize a decent return on your money. ~ Chris

Kevin Mader likes this.
  4. Kevin Mader

Kevin Mader Fellow Coin Enthusiast Supporter

I agree with Chris - own to enjoy and if it appreciates in value...it's a bonus. There are better ways to make investments...but maybe not as fun. Regarding coins in general, serious collectors generally aim for coin conditions/appearances with an MS grade of 65 or better (and slabbed). However, more desirable/collectible coins of lower grades are also desirable (e.g., 1922 LWC Plain). So it depends on a few factors. Slabbed population is also a consideration. The line shifts dependent on the coin. If the population drops off suddenly at MS62, then MS62 on up become more desirable and the rule-of-thumb MS65 goes out the window (to a certain degree). Do some research on your coins population and desirability. Be sure to look at where that is among the coins that grade higher. It should give you a pretty good idea of the deal you made and the likelihood it'll appreciate in value (note the trends at the Big 3 TPGs).

5. tommyc03

tommyc03 Senior Member

As enjoyable as collecting varieties and errors is, always remember it is a niche market. We will never know if even those dealers that carry a large stock of either have a successful business with these or not. And most B&M shops do not even carry many at all and do not pursue them unless they can acquire them at bargain basement prices. The 69 & 72 will always have a popularity factor because of the immense coverage they got when first discovered and continuing to this day. If you like what you purchased then enjoy it while you own it. Love your hobby first and consider any appreciation in value secondary.

Kevin Mader likes this.
  6. Steve Hill

Steve Hill New Member

Thank you for the replies, my point on the 1970 S FS-101 is that it seems to be one of the most under valued Varieties in the Lincoln series, every collector has his niche, I collect for two reasons, I enjoy the hobby and get excited with a find that may have investment potential. I guess the key word is potential vs investment. With a population of less than 60 in any grade very few in the series can compete. If you have one for sale, I'm your guy.

Draft saved Draft deleted