1970 S DDO

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by shilines, Jun 25, 2022.

1. shilines

shilines Active Member

Screenshot_20220627-234200.png Screenshot_20220627-234546.png Screenshot_20220627-234200.png Screenshot_20220627-234612.png Screenshot_20220627-234546.png Screenshot_20220627-234532.png Screenshot_20220627-234443.png

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. shilines

shilines Active Member

Here are the shots after placing coin on a bottle cap!

4. eddiespin

eddiespin Fast Eddie

You might have a minor one. I say that only because there are like 40 of these, and those are only the ones they found, there may be more, who knows? But you don't have the 001, that's pretty clear, your motto just isn't showing it. Check them out on this website: http://www.coppercoins.com/diesearch.php?date=1970&thismint=s&thistype=do&page=0. Click the marker photos links (EDS, MDS, LDS, as the case may be) for more detail.

There were 693,192,814 of these minted. That's over a half-billion. Finding the 001 is like finding a needle in a haystack. You just want to keep that in the back of your mind, too.

5. Kevin Mader

Kevin Mader Fellow Coin Enthusiast Supporter

I agree with Eddie; might have a minor variety but you’ll need to check the listings. A way to reduce the review is to establish the class of doubling you think you have. Then hone in on those listings skipping the others. There may be some thickness in LIBERTY but I can’t be sure.

Enjoy learning micro photography and taking shots of your finds. I built my box out of an old shoe box, a piece of glass from a broken picture frame, some packing material from a purchase, old pill bottles with quarters for weight, and an old canister a watch came in. The light was a purchase I made, two lights, but only needed the one. The light reflects off the glass set on a 45* angle to reduce shadows and glare. I use old packing materials to diffuse the LED light, but I don’t like the LEDs since they are too bright and make things a bit washed out.

Experiment. Have fun optimizing your setup. Take great photos for yourself and the rest of us.

shilines likes this.
  6. shilines

shilines Active Member

Thank You

7. shilines

shilines Active Member

Very awesome indeed! Thank you for helping me analyze this thing, I will definitely look in to the other varieties.

8. shilines

shilines Active Member

Did a lil shopping today and got back some change. Would you believe that there was another 1970S. Came on home and took photos the way you guys taught me and this is what it captured. Could this one be the one. Could I be so lucky. Just take a quick glance for me.

9. shilines

shilines Active Member

Screenshot_20220628-165635.png Screenshot_20220628-165704.png Screenshot_20220628-165436.png Screenshot_20220628-165453.png Screenshot_20220628-165527.png Screenshot_20220628-165801.png Screenshot_20220628-165826.png Screenshot_20220628-165555.png

Attached Files:

10. Kevin Mader

Kevin Mader Fellow Coin Enthusiast Supporter

Try using a different color backing. Black or another dark color. The white cap is contributing to washout in your photos.

expat and shilines like this.
  11. shilines

shilines Active Member

Ok

Kevin Mader and expat like this.
  12. expat

expat Remember you are unique, just like everyone else Supporter

Try to use a cap or support that is a smaller diameter of a coin you are imaging. The idea is to raise the coin above the background. Otherwise, the cap sticking out all round, just becomes a new background for the camera to focus on. I use discs of cork of various diameters, depending on size of coin.

Kevin Mader and Clawcoins like this.
  13. Clawcoins

Clawcoins Damaging Coins Daily

It looks like you are putting the coin On a Bottle Cap, which is ON a bottle?
    upload_2022-6-29_11-43-59.png

just put the coin on copy paper or construction paper which does *not* have texture. A bottle cap is also fine but you don't want it raised up high, or as mentioned above, goes beyond the edge of the coin itself.

BUT
    Then place your cell phone on the top of a kleenex box on it's side (or something that raises the cell phone *ABOVE* the coin. You want it High enough to focus on the coin, not anything else.
    If it's too close it won't focus.

You should be able to tap on the screen for it to have a focus point on the coin. Then take a picture.

a bit more ....
    Now with light, without enough light the "shutter speed" is slow which means it keeps the shutter open for longer periods of time to accommodate the amount of light with the amount of exposure. If the camera isn't still then you get motion/blurry images.

So more light the better, but that light is best if it's reflected towards the coin and not directed towards it.

shilines and expat like this.
  14. Clawcoins

Clawcoins Damaging Coins Daily

I should mention, cell phone cameras and cameras in general, vary greatly in their ability of getting sharp images. Even with all else being equal.

My iPhone XR has a sapphire crystal glass as the camera's lens and the images can be very nice and sharp.
    That versus various types of plastic lenses you can find on other cell & regular phones. This can have a dramatic difference in image quality.

My LG Stylo 4 images are poor compared to my iPhone.
    But here's a quick ad-hoc set up to take a picture of a quarter.
    1 - coins on a flat surface that does not have texture.
    2 - camera up above the coin with the lens of the camera pointing down on the coin (check where your camera lens actually is)
    3 - confirming the camera CAN focus on the image, otherwise raise up higher until it can.
    4 - taking the image.
    5 - lighting may have an effect too .. but that's a different conversation.
    908C43D2-FF56-4B63-B902-58948068FBD2.jpeg

shilines and Kevin Mader like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted