1970 S DDO

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by shilines, Jun 25, 2022.

1. eddiespin

eddiespin Fast Eddie

Of course keep your hopes up until you can get us sharp pictures and can get the verdict. As the pictures stand, it's not looking good for one. It's looking like glare or strike, not die doubling. Lookie here. Do you see S doubling, too? That's not a good sign, as the S wasn't on the hub. It was punched in after, on the working die. But you never know. We're just not clairvoyant. We need sharper pictures to dx these little buggers, and that's just how it is...

upload_2022-6-26_12-24-20.png

Cliff Reuter likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. shilines

shilines Active Member

And for the moment we all been waiting for...........The best shots I could do! Picsart_22-06-26_12-41-24-511.png Picsart_22-06-26_12-40-47-701.png Picsart_22-06-26_12-41-28-619.png Picsart_22-06-26_12-39-07-426.png Picsart_22-06-26_12-39-43-754.png Picsart_22-06-26_12-41-24-511.png Picsart_22-06-26_12-40-47-701.png Picsart_22-06-26_12-41-28-619.png Picsart_22-06-26_12-39-07-426.png Picsart_22-06-26_12-39-43-754.png

4. shilines

shilines Active Member

Notice that each shot looks like a different coin!

5. shilines

shilines Active Member

I'll try that

expat likes this.
  6. shilines

shilines Active Member

I got better photos up now

7. shilines

shilines Active Member

8. expat

expat Remember you are unique, just like everyone else Supporter

Put the coin on a bottle cap or similar, this puts the coin as the issue of focus and not the background. Put the phone on something that shows the coin in as much of the screen without blurring, do not use zoom as it pixelates the image, and set the timer to 2 seconds to avoid any camera shake. With this setup, you can experiment with the lighting positions untill you have the look you require. Similarly do the same for close ups of relevant areas. Try to not let the lighting glare off the coin, sometimes it is better to diffuse the light by placing a piece of tissue etc between the light and the object.

Cliff Reuter and shilines like this.
  9. shilines

shilines Active Member

Ok cool. Will do. What about the ones I just posted.Are they clear enough?

Cliff Reuter likes this.
  10. expat

expat Remember you are unique, just like everyone else Supporter

Better but a bit more focused is required and no light glaring. This needs very precise images to confirm or otherwise if it is the variety you want it to be

Cliff Reuter and shilines like this.
  11. shilines

shilines Active Member

I'm going to try again using the tips you gave me.

Cliff Reuter likes this.
  12. Mr.Q

Mr.Q Well-Known Member

Good luck with better photos.

13. Kevin Mader

Kevin Mader Fellow Coin Enthusiast Supporter

You need to steady your shop against a fixed object that won’t move/wobble easily. A tall beer glass, full can of soda, or a couple of heavy books. The distance between the camera lens and the coin should be a distance where minimal zooming is necessary to fill the screen on your phone. This way you won’t pixelate the photo. Lighting should be diffused and indirect. Multiple points will reduce shadows. Using the countdown feature will also help reduce movement when triggering the shot. Backing should be a solid color that compliments the coin. Avoid busy backgrounds like a news paper. The bottle cap or like should be smaller than the coin. The goal here is to lift the coin off the backing but not become the new backing.

shilines likes this.
  14. shilines

shilines Active Member

Gotcha

15. ifthevamzarockin

ifthevamzarockin Well-Known Member

Your photos are good enough to tell it is not the FS-101

16. Kevin Mader

Kevin Mader Fellow Coin Enthusiast Supporter

@shilines

I was away from my laptop, but here are a few ideas to consider going forward -

Shoebox setup
    shoebox1.jpg shoebox2.jpg shoebox3.jpg

shilines, eddiespin and capthank like this.
  17. capthank

capthank Well-Known Member

Can't tell but wishing you luck. It would be a great find!

18. eddiespin

eddiespin Fast Eddie

Kevin Mader likes this.
  19. shilines

shilines Active Member

Very nice of you to take the time to show a very detailed example of a way to get the clearest picture possible. Appreciate that. Yes I will do just that, but in the meanwhile before I read this post I had taken these shots which I and a few others thought came out pretty clear. But of course I am going to try your example still! Picsart_22-06-27_10-55-05-579.jpg Picsart_22-06-27_10-52-16-748.jpg

Kevin Mader likes this.
  20. shilines

shilines Active Member

When you zoom in on these you can pretty much see what you need to see, I think anyway

21. shilines

shilines Active Member

Compare the die markers for starters. Picsart_22-06-27_11-15-10-289.png

Draft saved Draft deleted