1970 Russia Lenin Coin - Reverse Proof?

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by iPen, Apr 27, 2016.

1. iPen

iPen Well-Known Member

I can't quite tell whether this one is proof or business strike. From pics online, both strike types have that grainy texture on the obverse's field. Obviously, proof strikes tend to have a mirror finish - this particular type pattern has a reverse proof pattern. It's hard to make out any cartwheel luster, if it's a business strike. But it looks "shiny" like a mirrored proof coin, but you can't quite see your sharp reflection like on modern proofs. I think it'll grade as a circulated coin, so maybe that's why. Thoughts?

Thanks in advance!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. TJ1952

TJ1952 Well-Known Member

Sorry, wish I could help you. Wait for others to chime in.

I like the coin though! Although considering it's Russian, by the looks of it, it's probably a Russian style proof. :yack:

Here's one for your viewing pleasure. I "think" it's a proof, or at least they tried to make it a proof. Hell, it was probably made in China!

S20151230_005.jpg S20151230_006.jpg

4. Taxidermist

Taxidermist Collector of US/IL/RU/DE

This is not a proof.

5. Taxidermist

These were also struck in prooflike, so this might be the case. Can 't say for sure from the photo, but looks authentic to me. How does the edge look like?

TJ1952 likes this.
  6. iPen

iPen Well-Known Member

Oh yes, there's a prooflike version that shows up on NGC's page.

It has an edge inscription.

7. Taxidermist

Pretty sure you got an authentic coin if the edge is right. Not that much value though. Proofs are more expensive.

I got this some time ago, also prooflikes.

1980.jpg

8. Taxidermist

And to stay on topic, here is my commem. 1970 100 Years Since Lenin Birth 1 Rub.

Photo is not the greatest because the coin is under angle to show the toning, I`d say its in low AU at best.

1970.jpg

joecoincollect, iPen and TJ1952 like this.
  9. TJ1952

TJ1952 Well-Known Member

Hmmmm, I think the edge does have inscription. Gotta go find it. I'll take a picture and post it after I find it.

10. KSorbo

KSorbo Well-Known Member

I'm pretty sure it was minted with the grainy texture on the business strikes. I have a circulated example that is like this.

11. Taxidermist

Yeah, smooth prooflike head on grainy field, its was the idea for all types of this coin. The proof looks much sharper though.

12. TJ1952

TJ1952 Well-Known Member

Yes, there is some type of inscription on the edge.

S20160428_001.jpg S20160428_002.jpg

Draft saved Draft deleted