1970 quarter 1941 date on back.

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by Steve333, Jul 1, 2020.

1. Steve333

Steve333 Member

CM200701-012837031.jpg CM200701-013152033.jpg

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Steve333

Steve333 Member

Also has doubling taking place on front

4. Pickin and Grinin

Pickin and Grinin Well-Known Member

That's a well worn and circulated 70 quarter. Nothing out of the ordinary.

Stevearino, paddyman98 and Handyman like this.
  5. Steve333

Steve333 Member

And reverse possibly

6. Steve333

Steve333 Member

I was told doubling alone could bring almost a thousand dollars

7. furryfrog02

furryfrog02 Well-Known Member

Lay off the grass so early in the morning, man.
    [​IMG]

8. Steve333

Steve333 Member

Maybe I need more lol

9. Steve333

Steve333 Member

You don't see doubling on front and multiple spots in back?

10. Pickin and Grinin

Pickin and Grinin Well-Known Member

No, I don't see any doubling. Because when a coin gets circulated to the point that yours is. The contact and circulation destroys the doubling that it may have once had. Below is a 1964 silver quarter FS-801 DDR. This so that you can see what a actual Doubled Die looks like.
    http://varietyvista.com/09b WQ Vol 2/DDR Detail Pages/1964PDDR001.htm

Lets use this coin as sold example. This coin was graded and attributed by PCGS.
    https://coins.ha.com/itm/washington...-23567.s?ic4=ListView-ShortDescription-071515
    It sold for $288 in a grade of MS64
    MS stands for Mint State.
    Your quarter is circulated and probably at best a f12 or f15. If you had the same coin FS-801 in the grade of F12 or F15 it would be valued at around $15.
    In order to sell the coin you would have to get it certified which would cost you around 30-40 dollars. You would actually take a loss.
    There is a lot that goes into variety's, DDO's and DDR's RPM's. It takes time to learn what to look for and what to do when you find a coin that is one.
    One is grading. Most coins when they get to XF are unable to be attributed because of wear/circulation the fattening and distortion of the devices, damage etc.

Stick around and read learn the game of numismatics and soon you will find yourself cherry picking worthy coins for attribution.
    Good luck Steve.

11. Steve333

Steve333 Member

Ok thank you. Very informative

12. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

You're hanging out on the wrong street corner! ~ Chris

SmokinJoe likes this.
  13. GH#75

GH#75 Trying to get 8 hours of sleep in 4. . .

You know, I think I have heard of a variety of 1970 proof coins that have the date 1941 on the back because they used 1941 Canadian quarters for it. I think this is an employee made error though. But its a strange coincidence that you say that you see a 1941 on the reverse, that is if you've never heard of this type of error before. Just FYI, your coin definatly does NOT have this error.

Here's a link to a site I found.
    https://www.coinbooks.org/esylum_v19n24a17.html

14. Steve333

Steve333 Member

Yes I did look it up and apparently I have someone who is really interested in seeing it. They said they have never seen one where the numbers are visible.

15. GH#75

Well, I can't see any numbers. Pictures are either too blurry, or there are no numbers at all. Also, this error is on 1970 PROOF coins, meaning there is an s mintmark. That means your coin does not have this error. Also, who are you showing this to?

Stevearino likes this.
  16. Steve333

Steve333 Member

17. Steve333

Steve333 Member

if you notice all the coins are from 88 or before and the 1970 is the only one with that coloring on the outside

18. GH#75

Umm... ok? That means nothing. The coloring is from being exposed to a different environment than the rest. And also, a Canadian quarter looks silver on the edge, not copper.

19. Steve333

Steve333 Member

Look behind the 0 there is clearly a 9. I can also see two 1s the 4 is hardest to make out

20. GH#75

Are you saying it's from a Canadian quarter? Or from something else? It isn't from a Canadian quarter, I can tell you that.

21. Steve333

Steve333 Member

I thought possibly yes. It weighs silver weight. Also looks different than any other quarter I have around the rim. I have also seen this error on 1970 no mint and d from searching the internet. I know the one for sale is an s

Draft saved Draft deleted