1970 penny- Is the reverse just mechanical doubling?

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by sunday13, Mar 31, 2019.

1. sunday13

sunday13 Active Member

I put this penny aside as a 1970 DD0-001. But the reverse caught also my attention. Is it just mechanical? I am not sure. Thank you !!

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Randy Ankele

Randy Ankele New Member

I don't understand why all the hardship when it comes to Double Dies. Regardless of how a coin is Double Died it is still a Double Died coin. The only factor that should involve the value of a Doubled Died coin is what is the specific Doubled Died that specific coin has. Most collectors and Dealers shoot down any idea of a coin being Doubled Died if it's not a DD 101 a true Doubled Died. However there or many different types of Doubled Died's, and more then 20 I know that to be true. I believe that a standard of the various types of Doubled Die's so out of all fairness the values of coins have a chance of being more in reality..

alurid likes this.
  4. alurid

alurid Well-Known Member

5. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

The correct term is Doubled Die.

6. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

Youtube and etsy says everything is a doubled die, but to be such it much be made by mint employees through the process of producing the die and inserting it into the coining machine. Any thing that happens after the machine starts up, such as badly aligned dies, looseness, wear and tear that causes movement of the die after that is not a doubled die, it is a mechanical doubling and not considered anything of value. Like you just bought 4 new tires went 100 miles and the edge wears off. If you alignment is good, the tire people should make good, if it was way off, they wouldn't as it wasn't their error ( mint) but the car ( machine) problem and no value. Jim

Draft saved Draft deleted