1970-P and 1972 D Washington Quarter's Type "M" REV RDV-007

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Stewart, Sep 19, 2010.

1. Stewart

Stewart Searcher of the Unique

I went through the change of over the last week and found these two hard to find varieties
    The 1970-p is the first one I have found so far. With only 6% of the population of the
    1970-P's being of the Type "M" reverse type they are very hard to find.
    I will have to dig out my others to see if I have any other 1972-D's
    I was wondering if anyone else has been finding these lately?

Terry

1970-P Washington Quarter Type "M" Reverse, CONECA RDV-007
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

1972-D Washington Quarter Type "M" Reverse, CONECA RDV-007
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Hobo

Hobo Squirrel Hater

I don't know what I'm looking at. What does one look for on a Type "M" reverse? And what is special about the 1972-D?

4. Stewart

5. coop

coop Senior Member

6. Stewart

Coop,
    I Love those informative compilations that you put together :thumb::thumb:
    Keep up the good work:yes:

My favorite pickup point for the Type "M" reverses is the ridge on the inside of the Eagles
    left (Viewers Right) wing. And the lack of a barb on the top arrow.
    I can spot those in some photos on ebay sometimes.

Terry

7. coop

coop Senior Member

Terry: Post what you are looking for and I will be glad to check it out.

8. proofartoncircs

proofartoncircs Junior Member

Terry,

Guess what? I doubt that either one of these is a true "M".

The 1970 P certainly has the "M" checkpoints, but it looks so weak. I suspect it is a doubled die from both "M' and and regular circulation strike dies for that year. That would be a rather unusual find. Frankly, I don't have too good a record making attributions from pictures. So I am not sure in this case.

THe 1972 D looks exceptionally well struck. But I don't see "M" characteristics that should be there.

9. Stewart

Herb,
    Thank You for letting me know that.
    I always tend to go off the Eagles Left Wing (Viewers Right)
    with that ridge that you can tell them apart blind folded with.
    Because it does stand up there more than any other wings
    When I get a chance (and some more batteries:headbang: )
    I will try to get some close-ups for us to check out.

Could you elaborate a little on this. I have never heard of it
    and I am getting excited to learn something new about these quarter varieties that
    have me so fascinated:b8nce:

Thank You Again Herb for all your help and research

Terry

10. proofartoncircs

proofartoncircs Junior Member

From the link given to the Coin Forum, I have copied the descriptions of the Type M and the Class III doubled die ordinary business / type M. I originally wrote it, so I guess I can copy it. The link has the pictures of these two varieties plus two others, all dated 1970 D.

TYPE M

The first 1970 D reverse pictured is the special proof design of 1968. Nomenclature gets awkward here. According to Breen and this forum, all pre bi-centennial clad reverses (with the exception of Type B) are Type C. But there are 6 versions of this from 1965 - 1973. In keeping with the commonly used A, B, C, I will call this one M for modified. (In my 1986 article it was a IIIm and Dr. James Wiles and Coneca will call it a RDV- 007). This M artwork was made from the regular business strike artwork of 1968 (a IIIb or RDV-006) and both the master hub (design, including field subtracted) and master die (design added) modified.

The first item to note is the inside edge (IE - I will be using the same check points as we go along) of the eagle's wing. This is very sharp and like a vertical wall. My fingernail will catch on the wing boundary if I drag it across the field. I am able to pick out this variety with my eyes closed. This boundary is obvious and the sharpest you will ever find on a Washington Quarter reverse. In additional the vertical wing segments have outlines added in relief. Perhaps this is most obvious on the left (viewer's) wing tip.

There are two leafs just to the left of the arrow points. Consider the leftmost one (LL). This has been extended upwards while the one to its right (RL) is nearly normal as compared to most other varieties. It does not show in the picture but the left leaf extension is obviously added on and appears doubled. I guess we have some 20th century recutting doubling here. The right leaf shows doubling to a much lesser degree.

The gap (GAP) between the arrow points and the next leaf is most odd. It is like a hologram. As you rock the coin back and forth it appears to be a gap at times and closed at times.

The barb of the top arrowpoint (TB) is missing.

The barb of the bottom arrowpoint (BB) is present.

This "M" version was used for about 75% of 1968 S Proof production and for no other proofs.
    It was used on 12 % of the 1969 D, 11 % of the 1970 D and 6 % of the 1970 (P) business strikes.
    It appears in most of the 1970 mint sets. Many of these were cut up for the Kennedy half of that year. Hence 1970 D "M" is now quite common in dealers' stocks.

DOUBLED DIE

The last picture is a class III dual hub doubled die. I call it a IIIb/m and Coneca uses RDV-006/7.
    I present it wih mixed emotions. I had three nice die varieties going and now this complicates it.
    In 1970, it almost seems the mint forgot they had the IIIm and IIIB versions and used them indiscrimately. They use both hubs to make one die. There must have been some problem in alignment because many of then show rotational doubling to different degrees and direction. [
    I think I now have an uderstanding as to how this happened. I will post on it later] 4.4% of the 1970 D production in my search of 1,000 1970 D quarters were doubled dies. This would require about 100 working dies. In the meantime 1970 (P) IIIb/m were less than .1% of a small mintage and appear to be one die only. [Dr. Wiles has now identified 2 dies.]

Inside edge of wings - intermediate appearance between the M and ordinary C versions. The bad thing is this can appear in several different degrees. The contrast between wing and field is intermediate but the left vertical wing inside feather relief outline is present, although its position versus the feather can vary.

The two leafs are similiar to the type m in that they show evidence of doubling.

The gap is similiar to M.

The top barb will be fairly strong if the IIIb hubbing was clockwise.

I assume most of these doubled dies are probably next to worthless but two of them are in the Cherrypickers' Guide. These are FS-25-1970D-801 (Coneca 1-R-III+V) and FS-25-1970D-802 (Coneca 2-R-III+I). I didn't recognize from that book but saw pictures of the full coins on TeleTrade.

They have been reported as being in mint sets. About 5 % of mint sets are IIIb and most mint sets have the IIIm.

11. 10gary22

10gary22 Junior Member

Aw man, I haven't even got through the 32-64's yet. I haven't even started looking at the clads.

Thanks for the info, I'll read up on it.

gary

12. Heather Polk

Heather Polk New Member

Ok so I'm a little ignorant to the coin game but I do have a 1970D,quarter can u help me identify if it's valuable?

13. coloradobryan

coloradobryan Well-Known Member

If you post a picture front and back of the coin as a new post, there are many here who would love to look at it.

14. 19Lyds

19Lyds Member of the United States of Confusion

I should have looked at the date of the original thread. From 2010.

Heather. The 1970-D Washington Quarter can be quite common in circulated grades.

It's tough to find them in "uncirculated" grades from pocket change as these went out of circulation quite a while ago.

They CAN and most often are clipped out of 1970 US Mint Sets for collections.

Describing the various varieties for the reverse types is a VERY specialized area which probably wouldn't make much sense to a novice collector.

However, if you PM me your eMail address I can forward an Adobe Acrobat (PDF) file so that you can examine the variety difference yourself.

"VALUE". Value is very relative to whether or not anybody is interested in a Specific Variety.

In general, variety collectors are far and few between and once the receive or find a variety that they are looking for, they move on to the next one.

15. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

The Necromongers have returned.......

phankins11 likes this.
  16. phankins11

phankins11 Well-Known Member

This made me laugh out loud...involuntarily...well stated green, well done.

17. Bigjake14

Bigjake14 New Member

20191027_071708.jpg 20191027_071708.jpg 20191027_070444_Burst01.jpg 20191027_071708.jpg 20191027_070444_Burst01.jpg I got a 72 d. Think it is a spitting eagle

18. Bigjake14

Bigjake14 New Member

My camera sucks I Hal to go get a better one sorry

Draft saved Draft deleted