1970 D Kennedy Half Dollar Proof-like

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by gbroke, May 6, 2015.

1. gbroke

gbroke Naturally Toned

I purchased a a large lot of Kennedy sets recently. These sets contained 1 coin for each year from 64-84. For 1970, some had proofs while others had the Denver business strike.

When I first saw this one, I thought it was the San Fran proof. Then I looked closer and saw it was the Denver issues business strike.
    If this isn't PL, I don't know what is.
    Here are images straight from the camera without any manipulation except for cropping.
    Too bad for the chatter...

Cameo appearance.
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Deep mirror fields...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Thoughts?
    Is this anything special?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

Gem-E.......:)

gbroke likes this.
  4. eddiespin

eddiespin Fast Eddie

That might be one of the mint-set ones? Deep mirrors, for sure. Mine don't look anything like that.

gbroke likes this.
  5. gbroke

gbroke Naturally Toned

Beats me lol. I have never never seen anything like it before.

6. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

Probably one of the first coins struck with new dies.

7. gbroke

gbroke Naturally Toned

I found a couple on eBay that are PL. They look about the same. Guess it's not that rare. I'll have to return my celebratory steaks to the market.
    [​IMG][​IMG]

8. flyers10

flyers10 Collector of US Coinage

Very nice. Checked NGC site. 48 graded PL and actually got 2 graded DPL. That surprised me also.

gbroke likes this.
  9. gbroke

gbroke Naturally Toned

Good to know. Thanks for the info. Maybe it's a DPL! I would bet the grade is 63 either way.

flyers10 likes this.
  10. flyers10

flyers10 Collector of US Coinage

The 2 that graded DPL graded MS64. Sure looks like you have a shot at DPL from the pictures. Worth sending in especially if you are already sending in some other coins to grade. Looking forward to see how it grades if you decide to send it in.

gbroke likes this.
  11. robec

robec Junior Member

I believe they only came in mint sets.

19Lyds and gbroke like this.
  12. eddiespin

eddiespin Fast Eddie

I think at first, Bob. The rest though were minted not to circulate, as well. Check it out.

gbroke likes this.
  13. robec

robec Junior Member

I was one of the ones who missed getting the mint set in 1970, though I did get the proof. At the time no one realized they would even be minting a "D" Kennedy.

I've never read anything since, other than the fact that the Denver Kennedy was a mint set only issue. If you have a source that says different I would be open to reading it.

14. eddiespin

eddiespin Fast Eddie

Give me a minute.

EDIT: OK, finished. I stand corrected! Your memory is working just fine, Bob. Lol. But I learned. :)

Last edited: May 6, 2015
  15. joecoincollect

joecoincollect Well-Known Member

Let us know what the results are. The first few pics look PL. I'm not sure if the other pics are different coins or the same one.

16. robec

robec Junior Member

It's just too bad the value wasn't maintained. It probably would have been worth more if they had just put the D's in circulation instead of the mint sets.

17. cladking

cladking Coin Collector

About 1.5% of these are PL.

Almost all the Kennedys can be found PL though some are quite elusive.

The '70 PL's are a little more dramatic than most dates because the dies were heavily basined. This specific example is nearly typical.

gbroke likes this.
  18. bdunnse

bdunnse Who dat?

What does "basined" mean?

19. eddiespin

eddiespin Fast Eddie

That explains it, somewhat. Had they put them in circulation the condition overall would likely have suffered. Most Kennedys were hoarded from the get-go, though, so it's hard to say. Kennedy was just assassinated and we were near going clad on the others in 90%. Funny how they're circulating, now, though. When we were going through boxes of halves, we plucked five, all in good condition, all with very light wear showing, at worst.

20. Coinchemistry 2012

Coinchemistry 2012 Well-Known Member

It is worth a submission to NGC. It looks PL and might even go star PL.

gbroke likes this.
  21. gbroke

gbroke Naturally Toned

It's going. I'm hoping for DPL. I saw an old thread on another forum where someone showed one they found. The mirror effect they showed with a piece of paper looked about the same. It graded DPl (1 of only 2 graded DPL). So we shall see! I will say; the reverse mirror is not as reflective as the obverse. Fingers crossed.

Draft saved Draft deleted