197? Pennies found

Discussion in 'Coin Roll Hunting' started by Brandi Wilson, Feb 23, 2020.

1. Brandi Wilson

Brandi Wilson ... a kid at heart

I opened up a roll of pennies that someone named Elizabeth had packed (her name was on the roll) and look what I found... Nothing but '70 something shiny pennies. That's a strange find for me. Any I should keep?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Pickin and Grinin

Pickin and Grinin Well-Known Member

Need some photos Brandi

4. Brandi Wilson

5. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

@Brandi Wilson

Yep! It looks like someone was hoarding them for decades. I'll bet they were inherited by a relative who decided to dump them at the bank. ~ Chris

6. Brandi Wilson

Is a '76 a good year in a '70s penny? Worth keeping? If it's shiny enough.

7. Pickin and Grinin

Pickin and Grinin Well-Known Member

First you are adding excessive bag marks to them.
    I would re roll them until you figure out if you want to put them in an album, or just simply hoard them. Those are some nice looking red cents. Unfortunately I am not seeing anything that would be worth searching for variety's,

Maybe pull out a few of the best struck and what you think are the nicest and post them here.

Spark1951 likes this.
  8. Brandi Wilson

Ok I will

9. furryfrog02

furryfrog02 Well-Known Member

I'd check the 72's for DDOs if there are any in there.

Spark1951 likes this.
  10. Brandi Wilson

I sorted them and photographed a few then one. They're all 75-79. The one I photographed is a 77 the one in the middle. Anyways I thought it to be strange. I think I'll keep them for awhile just because I don't really have anything to keep right at the moment.

Attached Files:

11. Kevin Mader

Kevin Mader Fellow Coin Enthusiast Supporter

Some banks would require their clients to put their name (and number) on the rolled coinage. Later, a bank associate would count the change to make sure the right amount of value was issued, or credit/debit the account. I haven't seen that for a long while now...mainly because banks have counters to use.

Regarding your hoard, it depends on you. For me, I build Roll Sets by date/mm and have those in a plastic tube. As noted, floating loose in a bag doesn't offer the same kind of protection it would in a wrapper/tube/flip. You have common dates there, so what I find tends to happen is that someone sat on a roll for 40 years to find that their $.50 investment is worth about the same to an LCS. You have to find the certain kind of buyer (like me) who is building a roll set to draw any real interest. A common roll for those dates wouldn't have me spending more than a $1 a roll...so if you have an incomplete roll, I think our fellow enthusiasts have it right. Find the very best and put those aside (in a flip) and spend the rest. It sure is fun finding older coinage in such shiny condition. My littlest second cousin loves the 'shiny pennies'. Who could blame a 10 year old...or a 50 year old with the heart of a 10 year old. Good luck!!

Spark1951 and DatDareNickelGuy like this.
  12. Pennyw1se

Pennyw1se Member

Brandi Wilson likes this.
  13. Pennyw1se

Pennyw1se Member

I'm trying to get the highest grade sets together of each deacde that I can find. I have the 80s covered with RD. But Wow, a bag like that amazing. I'd like to know what you find.

Brandi Wilson likes this.
  14. Brandi Wilson

I considered it a blessing too! I didn't have a lot of really good quality pennies but now I've got plenty '75-79 ones.
    I put the very nicest ones in flips. And I have the rest in a bag.

15. Brandi Wilson

Since this happened I started saving for sets too. I was just looking for errors but they're too hard to find. I already have some really nice pennies I've been hoarding so I'm going to get an album together.

The problem with where I live I can find a lot of Philadelphia pennies but not many Denver.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2020
  16. Spark1951

Spark1951 Accomplishment, not Activity

Put the rest in flips too. Keep them from touching. Discard (spend) any with half-letters or other die deterioration or large contact marks...Spark

17. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

I'd buy a book and start plugging holes! I'd also be checking those '72's.

18. Chip Kirkpatrick

Chip Kirkpatrick Well-Known Member

My mother in law left me about 20 rolls of ‘61-‘63 pennies. Some nice ones in there

Collecting Nut likes this.
  19. Pennyw1se

Pennyw1se Member

I have the reverse to that issue. Plenty of Denver. So far I have only been able to find 2, 2017 P's. The web site that they provided did help me very much in identifying errors for the 70's era and others. Amazing how much some people here know. Big help.later I'd like to see if anyone can help me identify a few coins that I have from the 70's and beyond. It would be nice to see you pull out a 70's gem.

20. Pennyw1se

Pennyw1se Member

Wow. Me likes.

Draft saved Draft deleted