1969s penny possible rare

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Battmann01, Mar 17, 2018.

1. Battmann01

Battmann01 Member

20180317_170713_Film4.jpg 20180317_170729_Film4.jpg 20180317_170738_Film4.jpg Found this last night. I looked on copper coins. What u think

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. furryfrog02

furryfrog02 Well-Known Member

4. V. Kurt Bellman

V. Kurt Bellman Yes, I'm blunt! Get over your "feeeeelings".

All cents are rare, in fact, they're all unique. What you want isn't "rare", it's "desired". Yours is not.

5. heavycam.monstervam

heavycam.monstervam Outlaw Trucker & Coin Hillbilly

Our resident 69S DDO expert hasnt been active for a while. The man, the legend, was last seen riding off into the sunset with two satchels full of gold doubloons. :troll:

6. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

You found one of 544,375,000 minted in 1969 at the San Francisco Mint

tommyc03 and furryfrog02 like this.
  7. abuckmaster147

abuckmaster147 Well-Known Member

I am just wondering where you are getting your info from thinking you have something Rare?

8. furryfrog02

We are all unique snowflakes...

9. MontCollector

MontCollector Well-Known Member

Though not rare, depending on where you live these can be hard to find. The closer to San Francisco to more common they are. Here in our part of Montana, San Francisco minted cents are still frequently found while CRH. For us it is harder to find a nice Philly minted cent.

10. furryfrog02

To be fair, I am a few hours south of Philly and do not find that many "S" cents here.

11. BooksB4Coins

BooksB4Coins Newbieus Sempiterna

With the understanding this sounds cliche, had you found one you wouldn't need to ask; it's really that obvious.

Still, kudos for making an effort to look into this on your own before asking. Better luck next time. :)

tommyc03 likes this.
  12. coloradobryan

coloradobryan Well-Known Member

I'm still waiting on a genuine 69-s ddo on here. I owned one, and can say it's VERY obvious and once you've seen one, you will never mistake machine doubling for die doubling.

13. MontCollector

Heck I'm still waiting to find my 1st Lincoln cent DDO/DDR. With my eyes it will have to be one of the major ones for me to see it though.

abuckmaster147 and furryfrog02 like this.
  14. coloradobryan

coloradobryan Well-Known Member

My advice to anyone looking for ddo or DDR Lincoln cents is to pull all dates that have doubled dies. Such as 63-d, 66, 68, 68-d, 69-s, 70s, 71, etc and to look at all coins from those dates. Look for wams and cams too. Ddo and DDR coins are few and far between, but with some searching you will find one. I've found in four years: 36 ddo 1, 68-d ddo, 69-s ddo ( lot 3600 heritage auction November 2014), two 72 ddo ( not ddo1), 95 ddo, and 95-d ddo, plus others. Look also for 1960 and 60-d class 3 ddo coins.

15. furryfrog02

In my roughly 6 years of searching I've found multiple 72 DDOs including DDO1, a few 95P DDOs, a 71 DDO1, and a few other smaller ones. Once you see a true DD you shouldn't have a hard time differentiating between what is a true DDO and what is MD or other garbage.

tommyc03 likes this.
  16. V. Kurt Bellman

I'll let you know when I care enough start looking for things like these.

CoinCorgi likes this.
  17. furryfrog02

Hey now, you gotta admit some of them are pretty nice looking :)

18. MontCollector

I have a lot of other different Lincoln cent errors from RPMs to blank planchets but no doubled dies. I tend to show and have even given some away to friends kids that visit the house with them. I have sparked an interest in a couple of kids this way....just my way of making sure our hobby lives on long after we are gone.:)

19. V. Kurt Bellman

I have a whole red 2x2 box of them that was a part of a bulk auction lot I bought and I can't scare up enough "give a darn" to even whip out my glass and look at them. Apparently a few dozen other bidders thought they were even more worthless than I do. I literally don't know ONE OTHER LOCAL COLLECTOR near me that is into varieties and errors, and I interact with LOADS of collectors at several coin clubs.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2018
  20. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

Maybe they are just older with bad eyesight or CTE or can't find a glass coke bottle to make a magnifying glass :) Jim

21. V. Kurt Bellman

...says the guy who can't tell a 1970-S proof small date when it's staring him in the face. :rolleyes:o_O;)

Draft saved Draft deleted