1969s cent

Discussion in 'Coin Roll Hunting' started by Tracey L Aldrich, Jan 2, 2022.

1. Tracey L Aldrich

Tracey L Aldrich Active Member

So im coin roll hunting and i find a nice looking 1969 s with lincolns eyes lpok closed has anyone seen this before? 20220101_210119-0.jpg 20220101_210032-0.jpg

alurid likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Hommer

Hommer Curator of Semi Precious Coinage

Charon's Obol.

4. Gam3rBlake

Gam3rBlake Well-Known Member

That went in the mouth ;). Even though its often incorrectly believed it was placed on the eyes.
    c12.jpg

5. Gam3rBlake

Looks like die deterioration to me.

Basically the dies appear to have been very worn when this coin was struck so they left out alot of detail.

Just my opinion.

6. Tracey L Aldrich

Tracey L Aldrich Active Member

Oh ok well its kinda cool anyways i guess looks likehes sleep lol

Gam3rBlake likes this.
  7. Hommer

Hommer Curator of Semi Precious Coinage

From my understanding, they were placed in or on both. Archeologist have found coins in vaults, crypts, and graves of the ancients and have interpreted them to be payment for Charon. Surely they didn't spit them out.

8. Gam3rBlake

I found some more information on that.
    obol2.jpg
    obol1.jpg

Per Wikipedia:
    Charon's obol is an allusive term for the coin placed in or on the mouth[1] of a dead person before burial. Greek and Latin literary sources specify the coin as an obol, and explain it as a payment or bribe for Charon, the ferryman who conveyed souls across the river that divided the world of the living from the world of the dead. Archaeological examples of these coins, of various denominations in practice, have been called "the most famous grave goods from antiquity."[2]

Contrary to popular etiology there is little evidence to connect the myth of Charon to the custom of placing a pair of coins on the eyes of the deceased, though the larger gold-foil coverings discussed above might include pieces shaped for the eyes. Pairs of coins are sometimes found in burials, including cremation urns; among the collections of the British Museum is an urn from Athens, ca. 300 BC, that contained cremated remains, two obols, and a terracotta figure of a mourning siren.[153] Ancient Greek and Latin literary sources, however, mention a pair of coins only when a return trip is anticipated, as in the case of Psyche’s catabasis, and never in regard to sealing the eyes.

Only rarely does the placement of a pair of coins suggest they might have covered the eyes. In Judea, a pair of silver denarii were found in the eye sockets of a skull; the burial dated to the 2nd century A.D. occurs within a Jewish community, but the religious affiliation of the deceased is unclear. Jewish ritual in antiquity did not require that the eye be sealed by an object, and it is debatable whether the custom of placing coins on the eyes of the dead was practiced among Jews prior to the modern era.[154]

SensibleSal66 and Hommer like this.
  9. Mountain Man

Mountain Man Well-Known Member

I think it is swelling from allergies. LOL Seriously, it is most likely just a worn die, but what do I know?

Draft saved Draft deleted