1969 Silver Dime

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by jello, Dec 27, 2010.

1. Lagaidh

Lagaidh New Member

That is just as cool in my opinion. To me, who cares if it isn't silver? It's on the wrong metal planchet, and should have been destroyed by the mint as it cannot meet the requirements of legal tender under the act for which it was minted!

Very fun! Congrats, man. What an interesting find.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Porsche2007

Porsche2007 Senior Member

Jello, but did you ever check to see if there's some silver in that coin? There are numerous ways to do that.
    Pure nickel should always be attracted to a magnet.
    Anyway, if that would have been me that found that coin, then I wouldn't have said too much about it. It is well recognized that something like that would sell itself for more money if it were raw. Especially if the seller would sit down, face to face, with a possible buyer and permit the person to do some quick testing before buying it.

Salutations.

4. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

There are no "quick" non-destructive tests for something like this. No, something like this where the buyer is going to want to know what the composition of the planchet is, and preferably what it was intended for, takes time and research. This is one case where serious authentication helps the sale price.

5. Porsche2007

With very minor destruction, there are quick tests...however, only if the composition is "known". It would depend on the method to be utilized, but if I have top-quality equipment and more time, then I can perform a noninvasive procedure to help determine what the composition could be.
    Regarding the sale price: if the coin is authenticated, then the buyer would have less space to speculate with a possible resale price. I'm not specifying that the coin isn't something special and that it will not possess a higher price if it were authenticated. It is simply known that without authentication there is more speculation that could be done...and something like that could help a possible, future price.
    So, we're basically conversing about how a particular model could elevate the price of a coin; therefore, none of us would ever mark a "difference" within the argument.

Salutations.

6. GeorgeM

GeorgeM Well-Known Member

I'm not familiar with CONECA - can you tell me a bit more about their authentication process? Do they slab coins as authentic, or just provide a document along with the coin? And do they handle US Philippine coinage?

7. Magman

Magman U.S. Money Collector

any updates?

8. Jim M

Jim M Ride it like ya stole it

George all your answers are at www.conecaonline.org There you will find the Whos Who list of all the error experts..

9. Jim M

Jim M Ride it like ya stole it

Jello, looks like you have stumbled upon something of interest. Wish I had seen this earlier. When wanting to know if a coin is silver there is a very easy NON intrusive test you can do to find out.. take a kleenex (white) and place it over the coin. If the coin shines, its silver.. Dont believe me.. Give it a try on a known silver and a known clad coin and see for yourself.

10. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

Ah, the old kleenex trick......:)

Hey Angelo, did Mr. Fred get back to you yet?

11. Shoewrecky

Shoewrecky Coin Hoarder

he already gave an update...

Yes it on an all nickle planchet meant for a Equator coin.
    If were Bu & MS-65 a whooping $55.00.
    :foot-mouth:but as it is just a keeper.

12. Porsche2007

Magman was probably referring himself to a "new" update. Especially knowing that it is not a nickel planchet, and it probably wasn't meant for Ecuador.

13. jello

jello Not Expert★NormL®

Fred said it was all nickle planchet & most likely a Panama planchet?
    That is all I could find out with out spend money to much on a cull coin.

14. mecha1166

mecha1166 Junior Member

That's a cool coin, definitely worth keeping. You could send it my way if you don't want it though. ;)

15. Moonshine

Moonshine ....................

Didn't someone post earlier in the thread that it would cost $5 to send to CONECA? How many other 1969 dimes have been found that were struck on a nickel planchet? Very cool find.

16. jello

jello Not Expert★NormL®

Thank U folk's !

$5-12.00 I think Mike D can update the $$$
    But this coin is so worn & dinged up it just a keeper

17. CashDude

CashDude Member

18. Lon Chaney

Lon Chaney Well-Known Member

Not to dredge this thread up, but I just saw a link on a different thread and just finished reading all 8 pages.
    So, jello.... you didn't send this in to get slabbed? You know that if it's a foreign planchet it's worth doing, regardless of how "dinged up" it is. To summarize these 8 pages, the Panama dimes of that year used standard US planchets, so they would show the copper core. And it's not Ecuador. So unless there's something you haven't updated us on, there's still no answer as to what the heck is going on with this dime.

19. gbroke

gbroke Naturally Toned

Lon, why do you say it's not Ecuador?
    from Jello-
    "Yes it on an all nickle planchet meant for a Equator coin.
    If were Bu & MS-65 a whooping $55.00.
    :foot-mouth:but as it is just a keeper."

20. Porsche2007

Response:
    [HR][/HR]
    I believe that the piece should be worth more than 55 USD. If that's "just a keeper", then I suppose that the 1992-D 1C Close AM is just a spender. Anyway, I enjoyed this thread.

21. gbroke

gbroke Naturally Toned

It's a 1969 though. Anyway, heck of a find, I agree!

Draft saved Draft deleted