1969 Silver Dime

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by jello, Dec 27, 2010.

1. jello

jello Not Expert★NormL®

U are right :thumb:1965-1992 Proof Roosevelt Dime are nickle clad & just silver looking!

1992 was the 1st year that you had a choice of Silver Proof or Clad Proof

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. 10gary22

10gary22 Junior Member

That's what made your dime find so interesting. I double checked to see that it was not a proof coin and should not have been minted from a silver planchet. I hope it gets authenticated. I always weigh the 83 cents, hoping some copper planchets slipped through. We know it happens albeit rarely. But that's what makes the find worthwhile.

gary

4. Collector1966

Collector1966 Senior Member

The Mint struck coins for Panama on exactly the same corresponding US planchets, so the 1969 Panamanian equivalent of the dime was also copper-nickel clad with the exact same specs as a dime, while the 1969 Panamanian version of the half dollar was 40% silver. I've yet to hear of any dime-sized 40% silver coins made anywhere in the world in 1969.

5. davidlandon

davidlandon Junior Member

Any news on the dime, jello?

6. jello

jello Not Expert★NormL®

That all folk's !

Yes it on an all nickle planchet meant for a Equator coin.
    If were Bu & MS-65 a whooping $55.00.
    :foot-mouth:but as it is just a keeper.

7. mikediamond

mikediamond Coin Collector

The US Mint did not produce any coins or planchets for Ecuador in 1966. The last year they made anything for that country was 1947. If it is a genuine off-metal error, it's worth a heckuva lot more than $55. I'd add an extra zero to that figure.

8. ratpack7

ratpack7 New Member

How do you find out what foreign coins the US mint made? and when?

9. 10gary22

10gary22 Junior Member

Or add two or three ? My take is like with the 88 D rdv 006 I have. There are about 2,000,000 collectors and about 33,000 registered ANA members. If you have 1 of 10 known coins and no one is selling any of them, how can anybody say what it's worth ? If someone wants it badly enough to pay 50k for it then that's its value.' The thing is that with the "scarce" items is that most of the owners of them never sell. Their estates do. People who can afford to collect the rarest coins can afford to keep them, and do. They acquire them simply because they want to add them to their collections. Then they keep them, not making the items available to the marketplace.

Even if 10,000 of your dime were minted, how many remain ? Nah, if you don't need to sell, keep it in your stock. Future Numismatic values are going to rise a lot when the economy improves. Today's pricing is bargain basement. IMHO

gary

10. Collector1966

Collector1966 Senior Member

11. ratpack7

ratpack7 New Member

12. gbroke

gbroke Naturally Toned

Thank you for keeping us posted Jello. Too bad it wasn't the silver whale, but a nice find nonetheless.

13. coinup

coinup Junior Member

heck yeah - still a good find!!

14. mikediamond

mikediamond Coin Collector

If it's pure nickel then it would be attracted to a magnet.

15. bobbeth87

bobbeth87 Coin Collector

It seems that if it is a wrong planchet strike, and that others have not been found, that it would be worth quite a bit more than $55....

16. fretboard

fretboard Defender of Old Coinage!

If you get tired of keeping it, I'll be glad to take it off your hands. For a nominal fee of course!! Do you happen to know how many were minted?

17. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

I assume you mean Ecuador. Unfortunately there are no nickel planchet coins of the proper size from Ecuador in 1968 or 1969. The closest is a nickel plated steel 5 centavo of 17.1 mm which is .8 mm too small, and it wasn't struck until 1970. Nothing else from Ecuador even comes close in size or date.

18. robbudo

robbudo Indian Error Collector

It would certainly get a couple hundred on Ebay if it were slabbed by PCGS/NGC or ANACS as an off metal from another country.

19. CashDude

CashDude Member

7 pages and we still know nothing. Maybe Mike will look at it?

20. jello

jello Not Expert★NormL®

1969 Dime more to come

That was my 1st test Mike and it was not magnetic. Sunday night Fred called will a update that he had it.at 1st look it is nickle and on a non US planchet&guessing Equator
    as you know it show season .Fred will do more checking on the coin to see Who what & were about the Dime

21. johnnyflesh

johnnyflesh New Member

Awesome! I was hoping it would shake out. Good luck!

Draft saved Draft deleted