1969 Silver Dime

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by jello, Dec 27, 2010.

1. ikandiggit

ikandiggit Currency Error Collector

"Ditto"

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Magman

Magman U.S. Money Collector

very interesting, let us know!

whens the last silver error? 1967?

4. ikandiggit

ikandiggit Currency Error Collector

5. johnnyflesh

johnnyflesh New Member

Hope you've got something, partner! Would be awesome if it was legit silver!

6. chip

chip Novice collector

I think it is humorous how everyone keeps telling Jello to send it in for authentication, if the weatherman did not tell you it was cold out and you should wear warm clothes would you go out in a blizzard in shorts and flipflops?

I could see it being pertinant if Jello was looking to sell the coin, cause many today buy the slab, and the supposed expertise and disinterested attitude of the tpgs are entrenched in the market, but if he plans on holding it as a great find, why would he spend the extra bucks to have someone else tell him something he already knows?

7. Stewart

Stewart Searcher of the Unique

Edited: to avoid drama

8. gbroke

gbroke Naturally Toned

The sound alone of a silver dime is so unique, I would consider that verification!

9. Congratulations! Great find. Enjoy. TC

10. Harry Behemoth

Harry Behemoth Junior Member

Here's another possibility...

From http://www.numismaster.com/ta/numis/Article.jsp?ad=article&ArticleId=16002

"Perhaps the off-metal error one would most widely expect to surface are 1968 or 1969 U.S. dimes struck on pure nickel planchets. So far, though, the author has not seen a single specimen. Fred Weinberg, a leading authority on error coins and varieties, had to also regard them as “unverified,” although he did recall possibly reading about the discovery of one or two pieces in a 1970s Collectors’ Clearinghouse column in Coin World.15 Perhaps an inquiring reader will be able to confirm the existence of these coins."

11. vnickels

vnickels Matt Draiss Numismatics & Galleries

Well, he should have it checked by a dealer at least before the trouble of authentication, and maybe even more than one dealer.

12. coinup

coinup Junior Member

with what he's found so far, and I'm not speaking for him, that would be the least I would do...if it's all that, spending a few $$ to get it authenticated would be irrelevant in the grand scheme, no matter what it weighs, how it sounds, and how many experts say otherwise...

13. ratio411

ratio411 Active Member

Doesn't 'look' silver in the pics.
    Almost looks grainy or porus...
    Just an observation from an innocent bystander.
    Good luck.

14. vnickels

Well, getting it graded might mean it would sell for a higher price.

15. coinmaster1

coinmaster1 Active Member

I agree. PCGS or NGC, of course. No SEGS! :D

16. 10gary22

10gary22 Junior Member

Send it to CONECA for authentication. That costs $5 + shipping. If it is authentic, then have it forwarded to ANACS for grading. Likely about $28 + insurance. I wouldn't mess with PCGS because you never know what errors they authenticate. They do NOT authenticate everything. In fact there are a great many varieties and errors that PCGS does not have the capacity to authenticate, wheras ANACS takes the time to do the proper research. I would never send an error or variety anyplace else. IMHO

gary

17. jello

jello Not Expert★NormL®

18. vnickels

Nice. This is quit an interesting thread!

19. johnnyflesh

johnnyflesh New Member

Darn skippy. This has me doing a double take at all my 65-69 dimes. Be a good find if your's shakes out OP.

20. 10gary22

10gary22 Junior Member

Man, I dumped $100 worth last week. Now I am going to weigh everything. A friend uses a popsicle stick glued to a piece of the barrel of a ballpoint pen with a Zincoln glued to one side of the fulcrum. He weighs all his cents quickly that way to get the copper 82's. It's faster than the scale. I am going to make one for dimes and check all of them from now on.

gary

21. CashDude

CashDude Member

It's probably just plated.

Draft saved Draft deleted