1969 S

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by Lady D, Sep 27, 2020.

Tags:
  1. Lady D

Lady D Member

weighs 3.10 grams. could it be copper?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

It is copper and worth one cent.

4. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

All Lincoln cents are 95% copper (3.11gms) until the Mint switched to Crappy Zincolns sometime in 1982.

5. Lady D

Lady D Member

Hmmm...I have pennies from the ‘60s that weigh 3.6 grams and this one weighs 3.10. I thought they changed to zinc in the late ‘60s but the sf mint minted a few on copper by mistake 69-70 timeframe. That is why I thought this might be one of those.

6. furham

furham Good Ole Boy

The proper weight is 3.11 so yours is normal.

7. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

It's a normal copper cent. It's worth what the reverse states.

8. furham

furham Good Ole Boy

Technically it's brass, but who cares.

9. thomas mozzillo

thomas mozzillo Well-Known Member

10. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

If you have some pennies from the 60's that weigh 3.6gms, could you take a photo of the edges with the one that weighs 3.11gms next to them for comparison? It's possible that the overweight pennies were struck on thicker planchets.

11. expat

expat Remember you are unique, just like everyone else Supporter

Yes, for some reason a little zinc was added to the copper plating solution, so when the zinc planchets went into the plater they then, technically, were coated with brass.

12. Lady D

Lady D Member

Will do. Thanks. I didn’t think of that. Most of my pennies from that time weigh 3.6 but this one is 3.11

13. Oldhoopster

Oldhoopster Member of the ANA since 1982

The specification for pre-1982 copper cents is 3.11 grams +/- 0.13 grams. That means a cent weighing between 2.98 – 3.24 grams is normal. If most of your cents weigh 3.6 grams, it sounds like your scale may need to be calibrated

Draft saved Draft deleted