1969-S Proof coins w/RPM?

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by RandyK, Mar 7, 2021.

1. RandyK

RandyK Member

I purchased a few 1969-S Proof Lincoln Cents. Checking them under my microscope I was surprised to find what appears to be repunched mintmarks. I have found listings on some sites for business strike RPMs on 1969-S, but find nothing about RPMs on proof strikes. Check these photos and tell me what you see.

RPM 3.jpg RPM 2.jpg RPM 1.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. eddiespin

eddiespin Fast Eddie

It is strike doubling. Look at the tail on the 9, it is there, too. The mint mark was punched after the 9, not concurrent with it. They are doubled because of the strike, not because they looked that way on the die.

4. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

Proof coins are struck two times. It is a special process.. high magnification will let you see things that look cazy.. Put the magnifier away!

Kentucky likes this.
  5. eddiespin

eddiespin Fast Eddie

Yeah. You want to find something, get out the shovel. :D

Paddy, you ever weigh that darn ring? You got something against expensive silver jewelry, or what? Let's get on the ball, you hit treasure on that one, it's no hunk of lead.

paddyman98 likes this.
  6. Rafique

Rafique RafMal

hi everyone, sorry i think I'm not supposed to post here but i been wanting to post them for months now and trying for the past few hours to post some coin pictures of mine to get a second opinion. Really sorry
    can you Guys here tell me what you'll think of this coin, thanks

Attached Files:

7. expat

expat Remember you are unique, just like everyone else Supporter

Hi and welcome to CT. First of all that doesn't look like a proof coin. The San Fran mint struck over 500 million business strike coins that year.
    Also the MM doesn't appear to be re-punched. What references did you use to think it was? This link shows the MM styles used for that year
    http://varietyvista.com/01b LC Doubled Dies Vol 2/San Francisco Mintmark Styles.htm
    and this link shows the 2 known business strike doubled obverse coins for that year
    http://varietyvista.com/01b LC Doubled Dies Vol 2/DDO 1969-S.htm

Draft saved Draft deleted