1969 s no clad obv or rev??

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by Rust_junky, Feb 19, 2020.

1. Oldhoopster

Oldhoopster Member of the ANA since 1982

If you think of a clad coin like a sandwich, and take out one slice of bread, it’s going to be thinner and both sides will be different color. Another thing to consider is that in many instances, a coin with a missing clad layer will be lighter than a normal coin. Comparing the weight and thickness to a standard coin is another easy way to check. Also, you still should be able to see the separate layers when looking at the edge of coin regardless if it’s the normal clad/copper/clad sandwich or the clad/copper partial sandwich. If the edge has the same color as the surfaces, you probably don’t have an error. And don’t think that it could be missing both clad layers. This would be exceedingly rare, and the coin would be so thin, you should be able to spot the difference immediately. Hope this helps

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Rust_junky

Rust_junky Member

Find this for anyone who might see the post and is curious.....
    One more question about this coin.....
    With it being environmentally damaged yet 51 year old coin in the condition that it's in, is there absolutely no additional value? I'm going to keep it in a dry spot just because I like the way it looks with its sharpness and age and patina regardless of the increase in value. It just stands out amongst all the other damaged coins I've ever come across so for that reason I'll keep it but what's more I appreciate everyone's input and I will keep searching thank you

Attached Files:

4. VistaCruiser69

VistaCruiser69 Well-Known Member

Actually the quarter you show looks very sand blasted. For example, look at the breast of the Eagle. No feather detail exists. And that's just one example out of many on this coin. Your quarter is worn down, not just worn down as a usually circulated quarter is.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2020
    Rust_junky likes this.
  5. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

No added value to the coin. However, you may want to save it for future reference and comparison to other coins that you will find in the future.

Rust_junky likes this.
  6. Rust_junky

Rust_junky Member

Awesome coin....thanks for sharing!!

7. Rust_junky

Rust_junky Member

Yes it is painfully obvious now that you mention it LOL. This just proves how much I have yet to learn and I'm grateful for a place like this to be able to be corrected and learn at the same time.

8. Rust_junky

Rust_junky Member

Yessir yeah I'm going to keep it anyway just the heck of it. For an environmental damage coin I think it's beautiful.

9. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

Sounds nice. Just keep in mind that there is so much to learn with coins that it takes a lifetime. Just keep an open mind and all will be fine.

Rust_junky likes this.
  10. Avery G.

Avery G. Active Member

What is amazing to me is how your coin's rim is so ding up, but the coin looks great. Is that a collar issue?

11. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

I'm guessing that the copper is a tad softer than the clad layer. It's also important to note that these coins weren't released by the Mint until the fall of 2004. ~ Chris

Draft saved Draft deleted