1969 s doubled die

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by Coinsup, Feb 25, 2017.

1. Coinsup

Coinsup Member

hey guys I just wanted to see what you guys think about this , I don't think it realy is you guys are the experts.

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. ken454

ken454 Well-Known Member

no... MD and/or die deterioration doubling..

4. BertJones

BertJones Member

Agreed, machine doubling not doubled die. Saw one of these in the last couple of days in pocket change. Nice example of machine doubling to hold on to for an in-hand m.d. reference piece for personal use or to show another budding collector what m.d. looks like in hand.

wxcoin likes this.
  5. wxcoin

wxcoin Getting no respect since I was a baby

Machine doubling.

6. David Setree Rare Coins

David Setree Rare Coins Well-Known Member

Nope Keep looking! I just bought a few rolls of unsearched '69 S BU rolls. Came from a "grandma" estate over the counter. I'll be searching these ones closely.

7. DJman

DJman New Member

You should send it to a known expert to look at stuff like this. Most people here are not real experts. They just think they are. But there is a thing called machine doubling and it looks genuine.

8. David Setree Rare Coins

David Setree Rare Coins Well-Known Member

And you are advising the OP to spend $50 to $100 to find out that he has what is obviously machine doubling? It's not just the doubling that confirms when one has the much sought after Doubled die '69 S. There are other die markers. But it doesn't take an expert to tell the difference on this one. All one needs is a photo of the rare one.

wxcoin likes this.
  9. eddiespin

eddiespin Fast Eddie

What do you say to this 1969-S DDO, expert? Boy, these are more common than we thought! I even got a 1968-S DDO, look below it. And it's in much better shape, and those haven't even been discovered yet!

69s.jpg 68S002_cropped-2.jpg

10. Shoewrecky

Shoewrecky Coin Hoarder

eddiespin and wxcoin like this.
  11. eddiespin

eddiespin Fast Eddie

I was kidding. I know, I understated the kidding part. But surely, @Shoewrecky, they're strike-doubled. You nailed them both, two birds in one. :)

EDIT: As a PS, when you see the mint marks doubled, too, and you know, on the coins in question, those mint marks were added after the dies were made, that in itself is a clincher for strike-doubling. ;)

Last edited: Feb 27, 2017
  12. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

Eddie, there are a few exceptions in that both a true DDO, occurred with a RPM ( doubled or tripled , that could be called true doubling also in my mind :)

Jim

13. eddiespin

eddiespin Fast Eddie

I know, Jim. Those happen, too, so I overgeneralized, it's not as sure a thing as I said.

Draft saved Draft deleted