1969 D Roosevelt dime toner

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by Willysilver, Dec 3, 2023.

1. Willysilver

Willysilver HEADS UP Supporter

got no idea no idea what this is it looks like some of them tone coins that they give mint State 69 grades too on one side and then the other side is perfect very much so like this coin anyways it's probably just nothing thank you for looking

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 3, 2023
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

Not toned at all, just dirty, like from the environment.

4. tommyc03

tommyc03 Senior Member

What the Nut ^^^ said. :)

Collecting Nut likes this.
  5. Neal

Neal Well-Known Member

If I am not mistaken, MS grades are given according to how many little nicks or other defects are visible on an otherwise uncirculated coin (and other factors in the highest states, such as strike quality). Usually tone is not considered. It is not the tone that makes the grade, but the grade in spite of tone. Some collectors pay a premium for what they consider beautiful toning. Personally I don't like any toning, but that is a good way to start an argument. Anyway, as Collecting Nut said, your coin is not a high grade and the "toning" or "environmental damage" doesn't help it. Easily worth 10 cents, however.

Willysilver likes this.
  6. Willysilver

I was being sarcastic

7. Willysilver

I was told that toning eliminates a few of the bad scratches or Nicks depending on where they are on the coin and things like that

8. Willysilver

My personal opinion post mint damage that's not what the coin comes out of the mint looking like so it's supposed to be damaged just like any other coin that has a mark on it it would be post meant damage that's my opinion

9. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

Aha, tgg he at would require a lol or a smile face or something similar. :)

PamR likes this.
  10. Kevin Mader

Kevin Mader Fellow Coin Enthusiast Supporter

There are various detractors that take away from a coins grade. Natural toning is generally not a major detractor...but can be.

Nicks and dings in one area versus another will also modify the grade assigned. For example, a 2 mm ding in an obscure location on the field vs by the nose or on it will generally rate less significant and affect the grade less (also, obverse vs reverse can play a factor). This plays out in the numbers of graded coins that you can find online at the various grading sites where two coins grading the same, but one looks 'busier' with dings and blemishes than the other. However, a similar study on clean coins and naturally toned coins will indicate that the delta between them is less significant.

Willysilver likes this.
  11. tommyc03

tommyc03 Senior Member

Not eliminate but more so, hides as those nicks and scratches are still there.

Willysilver and Collecting Nut like this.
  12. Willysilver

tone coins should be in a different category then I don't know it's just not fare

SensibleSal66 likes this.
  13. SensibleSal66

SensibleSal66 U.S Casual Collector / Error Collector

Fare? You mean fair?? Fare is what you need when you get stuck w/o a ride home. wink.png

Willysilver likes this.
  14. Willysilver

Draft saved Draft deleted