1969 D penny that does have a floating roof!

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Shrews1994, Jul 8, 2018.

1. Shrews1994

Shrews1994 Collecting is my passion.

I've had this penny. I've looked it up. And read about it. Now I'm seeing if it is truly the floating roof! RoundPhoto_Jul082018_092609.png RoundPhoto_Jul082018_092546.png

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Shrews1994

This is the one on the internet. Screenshot_20180607-121359.png

4. gronnh20

gronnh20 Well-Known Member

In the Cherrypickers' Guide, there is a 1969-D with missing designer's initials variety. The book says the missing initials are from over polishing of the die. The floating roof, the missing part of Lincoln's coat are most likely from the same type of overzealous polishing.

Shrews1994 likes this.
  5. Shrews1994

So this isn't really nothing?

6. Clawcoins

Clawcoins Damaging Coins Daily

I think it's kewl, no idea about value.
    Definitely a keeper.

Shrews1994 likes this.
  7. coinguy-matthew

coinguy-matthew Ike Crazy

In my humble opinion its not the same coin as the pics you provided. If you look closely at the pics of the actual error coin you will notice that it has fully struck steps in the lincoln memorial and has most of the details it should like lincolns statue between the poles. Over polishing only removes devices in the polished areas like the mint mark and lincolns coat. The coin you found appears to have been either a weak strike or more then likely struck through grease but im certainly no expert and could always be wrong.

Shrews1994 likes this.
  8. Shrews1994

Yeah probably so. I don't like getting my hopes up cause it could always be not it lol

9. coinguy-matthew

coinguy-matthew Ike Crazy

But getting your hopes up is all the fun! If you keep searching you will find something big eventually, it just might take a life time. Cherry picking unattributed variety's already slabbed is what I liked better because you dont have to search coins till your fingers are black.

Shrews1994 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted