1969 d penny NO fg and

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by Jarksmyworld, Apr 23, 2024.

1. Jarksmyworld

Jarksmyworld Member

Hi again everyone well I definitely think I found a big keeper :)
    A 1969 d penny brown - No FG - floating roof
    I definitely need your input on this
    Hopefully good news
    Thanks in advance 20240423_183035.png 20240423_190147.jpg 20240423_183040.jpg 20240423_184333.jpg 20240423_184249.jpg

alurid likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

Common. Nothing major.

The result of an overpolished die. It is not a variety, it is not a mint error. It is just a late die stage of that particular die, but could also happen on other dies if they are overpolished.

Spark1951, Tall Paul and Kevin Mader like this.
  4. Jarksmyworld

Jarksmyworld Member

5. Kevin Mader

Kevin Mader Fellow Coin Enthusiast Supporter

A very small premium at best. As Ed notes, quite common and not restricted to any date/mm.

Jarksmyworld likes this.
  6. Mcpix

Mcpix Member

I found one in my blue Whitman folder from when I was a teenager a few years back. Sent it to PCGS. MS64 RB. They use it as the sample photo. Worth $200.

Jarksmyworld likes this.
  7. Jarksmyworld

Jarksmyworld Member

@Mcpix that's awesome and like hearing that
    Thank you

8. Spark1951

Spark1951 Accomplishment, not Activity

Both features are weak but present on the coin.

…imo…Spark

ZoidMeister likes this.
  9. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

Can we see it? What is the PCGS number?

Did PCGS give it that value? Or is that what you think it is worth?

If they did then it is probably for the grade not the issue.
    I don't think any TPF recognizes the Floating Roof on their labels.

10. Pickin and Grinin

Pickin and Grinin Well-Known Member

paddyman98 likes this.
  11. Kevin Mader

Interesting. I’ve seen this condition fairly often during CRH events. Never gave it much thought as a result.

12. Spark1951

Spark1951 Accomplishment, not Activity

It’s interesting if that’s what you collect. Casting no shade for that.

But there's a reason TPGs don’t put some die maintenance results on labels. Just depends on the service you use and what they allow for what you pay for. I’ve seen “die polish marks” on labels.

Obviously, “No FG” is valid since it shows on labels for different denominations, but when you come down to the bottom line you collect what interests you, no matter if anyone shares that interest…imo…Spark

Last edited: Apr 24, 2024
    Kevin Mader and paddyman98 like this.
  13. ZoidMeister

ZoidMeister Hamlet Squire of Tomfoolery . . . . .

I would have stated "There is no way in hail" that PCGS would have certified that details, environmentally challenged, worn die Lincoln as mint state and RB if I hadn't seen it myself.

Confirms my way of thinking about the TPG's . . . . .

Z

upload_2024-4-24_14-43-12.png

14. Pickin and Grinin

SensibleSal66 likes this.
  15. Kevin Mader

To that point, I bought a few 1970S small dates and went about investigating grade by looking up specimens at the TPGs and Heritage. I was shocked at the inconsistency within any one of the venues never mind between themselves. I concluded that if I submitted my coins it would be a bit of a crapshoot. So, I didn’t.

ZoidMeister likes this.
  16. ZoidMeister

ZoidMeister Hamlet Squire of Tomfoolery . . . . .

My thoughts are; by having a piece encapsulated by a TPG you are buying market acceptability, an opinion of condition, and establishing a general range of market pricing. That market acceptability can have a significant influence in market pricing, and the effects of such vary wildly from TPG to TPG.

If you piece stands to benefit from encapsulation, either in terms of certification of authenticity or increased desirability, then it's a "no-brainer."

I have a few pieces that I would love to get certified, but with estimated values of items that are less than $500, it hardly seems worth the cost or effort (which is substantial for the average collector).

Z

17. Kevin Mader

;)
    That’s where I’m at. Just not enough juice in the squeeze. I think it more likely that they might grade lower than I expected; the universe working against me. ;)

ZoidMeister likes this.
  18. Jarksmyworld

Jarksmyworld Member

The one thing I am definitely understanding is your country is worth what somebody is willing to pay for it and everybody's coin collections are unique to themselves. I totally understand well to a point and me being a newbie the one I was totally shocked that actually was graded but then again I can't speak my opinion too much I don't have enough experience too nowhere close to know all that all of you know. I hope one day I will be able to know right away yes yes or hell know. Lol
    Thanks everyone for your responses and input

Kevin Mader and SensibleSal66 like this.
  19. Mcpix

Mcpix Member

It sat in a folder in Florida for 45 years before being sent in to PCGS.

Pickin and Grinin likes this.
  20. Pickin and Grinin

I am not kicking the coin, just the big spot on the reverse. It may be original, it just has a spot that has gone further than a carbon spot and should be a details coin not straight graded.

Kevin Mader and SensibleSal66 like this.
  21. Willysilver

Willysilver HEADS UP Supporter

no value FG is present

Draft saved Draft deleted