1969 D penny floating roof!

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by chazmasterman, Mar 6, 2015.

1. chazmasterman

chazmasterman Change your Change

1969 floating roof! I know as many will say were, polishing etc. Worn die. Also found on 1970 penny as well. And even a few newer one's. If you look at all the letters, you can see the was a strong strike.

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. eddiespin

eddiespin Fast Eddie

I forget what they call that. Excellent eye, that's a real good find.

chazmasterman likes this.
  4. Markus1959

Markus1959 Well-Known Member

Never saw one like that before - thanks for sharing!!

5. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

It looks like it is the result of a grease-filled die. They're very common on Lincoln cents.

Chris

Rick Stachowski likes this.
  6. chazmasterman

You think a grease fill just on those two spots only? just seems kinda off to be that perfect... IDK. maybe youcould be.

7. tommyc03

tommyc03 Senior Member

Possibly from an over polished die, unless the grease ran all the way across this area. Nice find!

8. cpm9ball

I don't see any evidence of over-polishing, and there is no rhyme or reason that can explain how, when or where that grease might accumulate on a die.

Chris

Spark1951 and Rick Stachowski like this.
  9. tommyc03

tommyc03 Senior Member

Coneca moderator explains as an abraded die. That's all I could find quickly. This one also had missing initials FG but not necessarily on the same coin.

Saphire7 and Paddy54 like this.
  10. ken454

ken454 Well-Known Member

i also read somewhere at some point in the past that the so called "floating roof" memorials were caused by abraded dies..

Paddy54 likes this.
  11. cpm9ball

Then why can't we see any evidence of polishing?

Chris

Saphire7, Spark1951 and chazmasterman like this.
  12. jallengomez

jallengomez Cessna 152 Jockey

That part of the roof which connects the two is such a shallow area in the die that it was common for polishing to remove them. And the 1969-D dies were often heavily polished as is evidenced by the missing designer's initials for that year.

Paddy54 and tommyc03 like this.
  13. chazmasterman

@jallengomez If you look closely, even elsewhere as @cpm9ball mentioned there is no evidence. Ok maybe I can take a few more pic's ?

14. jay4202472000

jay4202472000 Well-Known Member

Ok, what are you thinking it is then? If not an abraded die or struck through grease, what else would cause it? What are you leaning toward?

15. cpm9ball

This also begs the question, "If it was the result of a polished die, what was the necessity for the polishing?" What could have damaged both sides of the roof (on the die) like that?

Chris

16. jallengomez

jallengomez Cessna 152 Jockey

Not only in 1969, but throughout the 60s and into the early 70s there was a lot of clashing going on and it often showed up the heaviest in the Memorial bays, so the area of the Memorial building would take the heaviest polishing. The fact that very shallow parts of the die have been polished off in that area IS the evidence of the polishing. If you're talking about polish lines, these typically weren't that dramatic for this era. Certainly no where near as dramatic as the lines we see on cents from the early 80s. I'm not sure if they were using a different polishing tool or just better quality control. Plus this coin has seen better days, so any polish lines that may have been there have probably been marred from all the circulation.

17. ken454

ken454 Well-Known Member

i'm kinda surprised here, i only search maybe 1 box of cents a month and have come across many coins like this 1 and on most if i tilt the coin just right under lighted magnification you can just make out the lines that connect the roof to the building, and on specimans from the 80's the polish lines where also visible...

Saphire7 likes this.
  18. coinman1234

coinman1234 Not a Well-Known Member

Nice over-polished die. In 1969 and 1970 they over polished a couple dies making a 1969d No "FG" error too, I have found around 5 of them. I have not found a floating roof yet and I hope to. It looks pretty awesome.

SlipperySocks, eddiespin and tommyc03 like this.
  19. tommyc03

tommyc03 Senior Member

I probably should have been a little more specific on my post. It was this year/mm that specifically had the abraded die in these specific areas per the Coneca report I mentioned.

20. Rick Stachowski

Rick Stachowski Motor City Car Capital

A015 - 20150730_194122 (2).jpg Lol ... The floating roof was used as a " Header " over the front door ...

SlipperySocks and tommyc03 like this.
  21. robert ruocco

robert ruocco New Member

Is the floating roof penny worth anything

Draft saved Draft deleted