1969 D Cent No "I"

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by Dirk V Tully, May 17, 2018.

1. Dirk V Tully

Dirk V Tully New Member

I have what appears to be an error on a penny that I found.
    Please take a look and tell me what you think. Is it worth much?
    1969 Penny.GIF

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. BooksB4Coins

BooksB4Coins Newbieus Sempiterna

Likely a simple and fairly common strike through grease. Any premium would likely depend on finding a buyer that just has to have it, but even then would be very modest at best.

Cool find, but just not a valuable one, unfortunately.

4. lovecoinswalkingliberty

lovecoinswalkingliberty Well-Known Member

First, there is an I, just very light.[​IMG]
    Grease Filled die
    No EXTRA value. Only worth a cent. BUT if someone was willing to pay for it, it is worth whatever the buyer wants. :happy:

Missing digits or mint marks on modern coins are usually because the die gets filled up with dirt, grease or debris, not allowing the number or mark to be minted. The metal from the blank can’t get into that area on the die to receive the impression from the die. This problem usually only lasts for one or two coins until the material falls out of the die. The coin would probably be valuable if the die that struck the coin had a missing the date digit or a mint mark, this would be a variety. These are common and not consistent and add no value to the coin unless it is severe.

5. lovecoinswalkingliberty

lovecoinswalkingliberty Well-Known Member

6. BooksB4Coins

BooksB4Coins Newbieus Sempiterna

When copying the work of others you've found on the internet (or elsewhere), do be sure to cite your source(s) as the mods have already asked of you.

This appears to have been the source of "your" wording...

https://coinsite.com/filled-die-error-coin-2/

7. Dirk V Tully

Dirk V Tully New Member

Oh well, thanks for the information.

Draft saved Draft deleted