1969 D artists initials missing error

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by Walter Marx, Aug 14, 2018.

?

I've seen this coin going for prices from $50 up to $10,000. Mine isn't very bright but does have

Poll closed Sep 13, 2018.
  1. A hard to come by coin

100.0%
  2. Any examples in uncirculated condition?

100.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Walter Marx

Walter Marx Active Member

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Dave363

Dave363 Well-Known Member

Welcome to Cointalk
    Your coin is a normal circulated coin the designers initials on your coin are there they're faded from wear and tear or possibly grease filled.IMO
    Dave

4. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

@Walter Marx
    You have a normal Overpolished Die example. That makes the initials not appear on a coin. Another evidence is the roof.. Look at it and you can see it looks like it is floating.
    It is all due to overpolishing.
    Nothing really major. Worth just 1 Cent.

Google - Floating Roof Variety Lincoln Cent

5. SilverDollar2017

SilverDollar2017 Morgan dollars

Caused by overpolishing the die. You coin also has the "Floating roof" variety as paddyman98 noted. Worth face value.

HollyRorieNetwork likes this.
  6. tmeyer

tmeyer Au hunter

I find these once in a while going thru boxes of pennies. Even though they are worth only 1 cent I still keep them.

7. PlanoSteve

PlanoSteve Well-Known Member

Nice coin for a "warrior" collection (those are coins which have been through their original intended purpose and are still recognizable, albeit, of little intrinsic value). :smuggrin::smuggrin::smuggrin:

If you don't already have one, buy a Whitman or similar book & fill it with "warriors". It's fun, & these coins should be recognized & appreciated. :happy::happy::happy:

Walter Marx likes this.
  8. Walter Marx

Thank you, I've actually found 3 of thesd, I'll hang on to them for the hell of it.

9. Walter Marx

Ya, I believe you're right. I oomed in as close as possible and you can definitely see the remains of of some letter type there. Screenshot_20180822-121441.png

10. I found one of these recently. Very nice! I'm working on adding pictures of it, among the others mentions on my website article about the benefits of coin collecting and selling. I started listing the unique coins and print money I come across on Ebay too, but there's been quite a few even of this particular coin that I've found online.
    - Edited - .[FONT=Verdana,Geneva,sans-serif] [/FONT] I have fun searching through my tips after work and get to be creative with my finds too. - Edited - .​

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 15, 2020
  11. paddyman98

Holly,

The 1969 floating roof are common and not rare. $10.00 is too much to ask for IMHO..

Your Quarter is not a Doubled die..

Your 1965 Dime is not off center but just a simple Misaligned die strike.. No mint mark only means it was struck at the Philadelphia Mint.
    Nothing major. Not worth $10.00 nor $100.00..

Quad numbers in a serial number are a made up term on ebay to make it sound fancy. It's called marketing.. Not worth $77.00..

If you don't know what true errors and varieties are you should not be trying to sell them.
    Educate yourself first before you do that. We frown upon that.

Also.. Start your own unique threads when showing your coins in question.

Welcome to CoinTalk

- Mr. Ed
    (Specializing in collecting mint errors since 1985)

Last edited: Jan 9, 2020
  12. Thanks for your time. I saw the forum post about this particular coin and was trying to follow the rules of commenting on a thread that mentioned it.
    As far as the rest, I did admit that I still had a lot to learn as well as that portions of proceeds from any potential sale benefit charities.

Thanks for your time.

All the best!

13. paddyman98

No problem. We are here to help you. I myself have been studying mint errors for almost 35 years. There is a lot for you to learn. It takes time.

Peace :angelic:

14. That's wonderful! Thank you and I agree. I love to learn and I'm like a sponge soaking in as much as possible when possible so I'm confident I'll get better with time. Thanks again for your input and suggestions.

paddyman98 likes this.
  15. paddyman98

You will do good.. Other newbies would curse me out, tell me to mind my own business, tell me to get a life and then say that I don't know anything. :hilarious:.. It's really sad.

16. A particular phrase came to mind after reading this...."A man that hath friends must shew himself friendly."

Your experience is very valuable. Anyone cursing you out for replying with the truth are just reacting to the sting. If only they'd wait a moment before letting their emotions rule over them in their reply to yours, then they might make a friend who has connections they don't, along with the knowledge to gain that they've come here seeking. It's a pleasure to make your acquaintance Paddyman98!

Draft saved Draft deleted