1969 D anomaly help!

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by Newbie69, Jun 23, 2018.

1. Newbie69

Newbie69 Doesn't make cents!

IMG_20180623_143800171_HDR.jpg I'm posting to get someone to look at this with I little more experience in the minting process. Wondering if this mark under the bottom of the one in date might be something from tooling or a part that might have fallen into the press! IMG_20180623_144130408_HDR.jpg IMG_20180623_144105701_HDR.jpg

steve.e and alurid like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. alurid

alurid Well-Known Member

That's pretty cool looking, like a nail stuck in the botton of the 1.
    Most of these Bumps are called Die Chips. Chips are more normaly found on
    the devices of a coin. Like inside letters and numbers. The are considered common on cents of this year. It could have been caused by a object hitted the die, but there
    is no way to prove it with such a small mark. And it would not add any more value than a die chip will.

Attached Files:

4. Newbie69

Thought it was interesting. I was thinking the hammer die had to be damaged prior to striking, which would mean the damage was in the working Hub then transferred to the working die correct? Most die chips cover the raised part of the coin and this mark does not! Just trying to figure at what point in the minting process this would have happened.

5. Newbie69

@alurid Did my last post make any sense? Is my thinking correct here? Thanks for the response BTW !

6. alurid

alurid Well-Known Member

It has nothing to do with any working hub transfer. Dies are hardened before they
    get used, if they are too hard they can crack and chip during use. If they are to soft
    they will wear-out sooner.

Newbie69 likes this.
  7. Newbie69

OK I understand how die chips and cracks happen, and when they do they cover (or add to)part of the image they effect . So my question is how does the anomaly in my coin appear to be under and through the one? Sorry I'm just confused on how this happens and not trying to question your knowledge here. Thanks again very much for your time on this .

8. alurid

alurid Well-Known Member

If a Piece or "Chip", Dent, Scratch takes metal away from the die, it will show up as metal added to the surface of the coin.

Attached Files:

9. Newbie69

Going to try and get a better pic but is it possible to be misplaced mint mark? The size matches the back of the D !

10. SlipperySocks

SlipperySocks Well-Known Member

It does seem to have serifs but would expect to see more if it was the Denver.

Draft saved Draft deleted