1968 S roll hunting find

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by robertk310, Jan 22, 2017.

1. robertk310

robertk310 Active Member

Found another interesting specimen roll hunting: 1968 S cent. Another roll find in pristine condition except for what looks like a dent on the reverse. There are no signs of damage on either side so I'm wondering did this happen during the minting process? Or would this be considered PMD? Also what grade would you give this coin? It shines like a new copper coin. Thanks in advance for everyone's input!!!

Attached Files:

ACoinJob likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

I would not call it pristine. On the pictures you provided, when enlarged I see many scratches on both sides of the Cent. His check also has some bad scratch if you look closely.
    There is a slight Misaligned Die Strike on the Obverse as you can see a small False Double Rim to the left of LIBERTY
    I'm not a grader so I can't say :bag:

4. robertk310

robertk310 Active Member

Would you venture a guess as to how it got warped/dented on the reverse? Edit: do you think that's from the minting process or is that PMD?

5. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

I see it but can't give a definite answer. Could be something to do with the Obverse design. Some sort of ghosting effect but not certain.

6. alurid

alurid Well-Known Member

This dent you are asking about could be mint warping, due to internal stress in the metal, I dont think it will add value, as most collector do want a pristine speciment.
    There are those that like the odd and uncommon stuff. I would keep it as an example, and not be to conserned with grade, as an MS-63 RD only brings about
    15¢.

7. dwhiz

dwhiz Collector Supporter

Not a bad roll fine.

eddiespin likes this.
  8. robertk310

robertk310 Active Member

Thank you everyone for your feedback and knowledge, which is the only thing I seek, so that I can become a more knowledgeable collector. I do not seek grades so that I can sell my coins, but to know the quality of the specimens I have found and collect. Thanks again to everyone!!!!

9. Rick Stachowski

Rick Stachowski Motor City Car Capital

I have at least a 100 of them .
    A004 - 20130105_072915 (2).jpg

10. robertk310

robertk310 Active Member

So is this due to mint warping or something else?

11. SuperDave

SuperDave Free the Cartwheels!

I'm inclined to think it (as @paddyman98 mentioned) an artifact of the "ghosting" caused by long die usage imparting some of the contours of the opposite die onto the one in question.

12. alurid

alurid Well-Known Member

Well put it this way, Is the coin warped or bent in any way? If not refer to what Paddyman98 and Superdave posted, which is most likely the correct diagnosis.

13. Rick Stachowski

It's ghosting as other have suggested, best known as a worn die ...

alurid likes this.
  14. robertk310

robertk310 Active Member

Ghosting, OK, will read up on it. Thanks again everyone!

15. Rick Stachowski

16. ACoinJob

ACoinJob There are still some out there to be had.

I noticed it were a little off centered. Have you tried looking at it under a 25X microscope? A friend says they have a coveted 1968 S double obverse Lincoln Cent. Something to consider. MS-63 Choice Uncirculated, with bag marks, scratches. The indentation center of the coin is problematic from the dies. Not a perfect strike.

17. robertk310

robertk310 Active Member

I have not as I don't own a microscope, should I go see a coin dealer? If so, can you recommend any in the Los Angeles area? Should I make sure to ask them anything specific?

18. Rick Stachowski

Here's a scope I own, about 32 bucks on amazon ..
    1e-crop.jpg 1d-crop.jpg

1a.jpg

1b.jpg

1c.jpg

19. robertk310

robertk310 Active Member

Those are some incredibly sharp pictures! Does the scope take pictures as well or does it have a camera attachment slot? Can you share the scope make/model? Thank you!

20. Rick Stachowski

Sure
    http://plugable.com/products/usb2-micro-250x

21. eddiespin

eddiespin Fast Eddie

You mean this one? Tell your friend to make me an offer, I'm easy...
    68S002_cropped.jpg

Draft saved Draft deleted