1968 s penny value

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by serepein, May 1, 2018.

1. serepein

serepein New Member

upload_2018-5-2_14-29-35.png

Can anyone help me determine the value of this penny? New at collecting coins and thought this penny looked more protruded than others if that makes any sense.

Thanks

alurid likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. BooksB4Coins

BooksB4Coins Newbieus Sempiterna

It's only for face (one cent), unfortunately. The relief and general design changed over time, so this may explain what you addressed. Beyond this, I see nothing else noteworthy.

Welcome to the forum!

4. serepein

serepein New Member

Thanks!

What about this dime? Not sure if this is physical damage to the coin or if its an error during production.

upload_2018-5-2_14-51-2.png

Any advice you have for a new collector would be greatly appreciated. Not really sure what I should be looking for to see if a coin is noteworthy.

Thanks in advanced!

5. l.cutler

l.cutler Member

The dime is just damaged. One bit of advice, a lot of things can happen to a coin to change it's color or damage it. Don't think any little thing that looks slightly different is something significant. Study up on coins and coin production all you can, but use real numismatic resources. Books, coin papers and magazines etc. are good resources, and hang around here and listen to the experienced numismatists. Avoid the flashy videos on YouTube, there is a lot of misinformation there!

6. alurid

alurid Well-Known Member

Welcome to Coin Talk. Your 1968-S cent looks more protruded than others because it is. What some refer to as high relief. In 1968 the mint redesigned/modified the Dies for 1969 due to some issues they had. Here is a photo that show the difference.
    68-69 (5).JPG

Randy Abercrombie likes this.
  7. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

8. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

The dime is damaged and the cent is also only worth face value, though one has to admit the latter isn't bad for one that's 50 years old, if you found it in circulation.

9. Dave363

Dave363 Well-Known Member

Welcome to Cointalk
    Dave

10. Roy Vallejos

Roy Vallejos Member

Hi Dave just more questions than what's worth if you know what I mean. Anyways do collectors look at how a coin looks for example I've notice alot of dd coloration and damage to coins that are worth money is there something else to a coin that makes it more valuable I instead of just dd or part of a coin got's more dd than the other Pat's of the same coin. I've got coins that are so different and errors that have no record on file should I present them to see if anyone might notice a potential of being a high value coin. I'm not asking what there worth cause you have some pretty good answers that Will disfigure a person to not ask any more questions lol.

Draft saved Draft deleted