1968 S Double Die Penny

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by wrestlover, Jan 18, 2010.

1. non_cents

non_cents Well-Known Member

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

Correct, machine doubling as it is flattened and as common, the mint mark is also MD , even though it was added separately in 68 to the working die. There are some rare doubled dies with RPM ( repunched mint mark), but this was not one. The late 60s had large number of cents that were MD, so they are very common. No extra value.

4. omar822

omar822 Member

What do you think about this 1968 S

Attached Files:

5. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

Same, except not as much MD visible on the mintmark. Machine doubling can be in any direction and can only affect certain portions of a coin. Machine doubling is a flattened secondary or even tertiary ( 3 ) images. The key is that a real doubled die will not change the width of the original, but will add to it with a secondary image close to the same height as the original image. A MD will decrease the width of the original by the amount of the machine doubling, and be of lesser height than the original image.

Notice how in this 1972/72 DDO die #1, each image is about the same height. This is an extreme example, the second image may be very thin and appear as a line down an enlarged letter or a split ( 2) serifs on a letter or number.

[​IMG]

omar822 likes this.
  6. omar822

omar822 Member

7. omar822

omar822 Member

8. Briboy07

Briboy07 Well-Known Member

Well the BE looks interesting, but i am thinking flat MD. I also checked Wexlers and Coppercoins and none matched either. There are no matches that I found for MM either so I think the same. Wonder how that occurs when being given a whack by the engraver with a mallet? You can also see the MD on the neck and chin. I am not the expert just my fun opinion, I still think it looks neat :) and I could be wrong.
    FYI Omar822 I would have thrown this on a new thread :)

9. flipacoin

flipacoin Active Member

You buy a double cheeseburger, you find a doubled die.

10. Briboy07

Briboy07 Well-Known Member

flipacoin the original thread is from 2010 :)
    omar822 Posted another possible 68-s above from yesterday.

11. Danny Ryan

Danny Ryan New Member

12. coop

coop Senior Member

Machine doubling is very common on the 1968-1972 cents.

13. Danny Ryan

Danny Ryan New Member

I'm new to this so any help and advice would be appreciated I found this 2004 d the 4 is barely visible and America on back is barely visible also can anyone tell me what I got thanks.[​IMG][​IMG]

14. 19Lyds

19Lyds Member of the United States of Confusion

Closest I ever came to a 1968 DDO was this 1968-S DDO which was too minor to list........

Lincoln 1968-S Date-01.jpg

Lincoln 1968-S Liberty-01.jpg

Lincoln 1968-S Trust-01.jpg

tomfiggy likes this.
  15. tomfiggy

tomfiggy Well-Known Member

I am curious why anyone would reply to a thread that has been dead for years with a post about a coin that does not even have the same year?
    If you have a question about something please post a new thread so we don't have to try and figure out what this is all about..

16. coop

coop Senior Member

19Lyds: Who did you submit it to? That should be listed.

17. Danny Ryan

Danny Ryan New Member

Because I really don't know what edit - forum rules I am doing and ten years in the state prison didn't really help my computer skills . that's why what are you doing on here . I'm trying to figure this out I didn't know it was old but what about the coin what do you think

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 5, 2016
  18. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

Hello Danny.. I can help you with your question. What you have is called a grease filled die strike. There was some grease build up on the die that was used to create your Cent on the number 4 so that's why its not there. Common occurrence. Hope this answer helps.

19. Danny Ryan

Danny Ryan New Member

Appreciate it man thank you

paddyman98 likes this.
  20. tomfiggy

tomfiggy Well-Known Member

I apologize.

21. 19Lyds

19Lyds Member of the United States of Confusion

James Wiles.

His reply to my query regarding this coin compared to the 1964 DDO:

"As you know it is a subjective judgment call. This one is borderline. I thought about it a couple of times, but finally rejected it. There are others with similar doubling and markers to help ID them. I didn't see any markers on your coin. The doubling on the 64 is unique, even though the spread is not as strong as your 68. On a different day, I might list it."

Draft saved Draft deleted