1968 S American Lincoln Wheat Obverse Doubled Cent

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by Dave from the country, Apr 3, 2024.

1. Hello Any and All,
    I don't know if I'm posting this correctly or in the right place but I hope so. If not, any assistance would be most appreciated. I was going through some coins yesterday and found this very interesting (to me) 1968 S Lincoln Wheat cent with very strong obverse doubling over the entire face of the coin...the date, LIBERTY< words and Lincoln's face. Can anyone please give me any kind of information on what this might be and the general value if any. Many thanks and best regards.
    Dave

Attached Files:

Pickin and Grinin and alurid like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

That's not a doubled die variety.
    It's flat and shelflike.

Just a bit of mechanical doubling and die deterioration doubling.. aka worthless doubling.

SensibleSal66 and tommyc03 like this.
  4. Thanks very much for the information

alurid likes this.
  5. alurid

alurid Well-Known Member

+1 for machine doubling. And a nice specimen of one.

6. expat

expat Remember you are unique, just like everyone else Supporter

@Dave from the country A nice, clear example of worthless machine doubling. A good example to use as a reference for any further ones you may come across. Not only is it flat and shelflike in appearance there is another helpful attribute to aid you in the future.
    Prior to 1990 the mintmark was added by handpunching after creation of the master die. Therefore, when you see issues prior to 1990 where the MM shows a similar anomaly to other devices such as date, Liberty etc. you can be sure you are not seeing genuine hub doubling. Hope this helps

tommyc03 and alurid like this.
  7. Dynoking

Dynoking Well-Known Member

1968 S American Lincoln Wheat Obverse Doubled Cent
    Lincoln Wheat Cents (LWC) were last produced in 1958. Starting in 1959 the Lincoln Memorial replaced the wheat stalks on the reverse. We call them Lincoln Memorial Cents or LMC. The last Lincoln Memorial Cents were made in 2008.

SensibleSal66 and Spark1951 like this.
  8. ZoidMeister

ZoidMeister Hamlet Squire of Tomfoolery . . . . .

Great photos by the way.

Z

9. Pickin and Grinin

Pickin and Grinin Well-Known Member

Thats some dramatic shelf like doubling 68 was famous for worn out dies. In 1969 they reworked the obverse design. These were the last coins of that era.

10. Lon Chaney

Lon Chaney Well-Known Member

As mentioned, no such beast. Wheaties were done in 1958.

SensibleSal66 likes this.
  11. My bad...I knew that but forgot at the time. Thanks.

Dynoking likes this.
  12. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

It’s a case of MD.

Draft saved Draft deleted