1968 penny writing too close to the rim?

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by unnut, Feb 14, 2016.

1. unnut

unnut Member

Folks. Attached are the pictures of the 1968 penny which I picked up from circulation recently. The writing above Lincoln's head seems to almost merge into the rim. Would this be considered an error coin? The coin has seem some circulation and is somewhat beat up as you can see in the pictures.

IMG_1403.jpg IMG_1413.jpg Thanks!

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

4. Amos 811

Amos 811 DisMember

nice railroad rim though.

5. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

How do you figure that?

Chris

6. tommyc03

tommyc03 Senior Member

Maybe referring to the slight misalignment to the west?

paddyman98 likes this.
  7. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

More of a bit of False Double Rim not Railroad Rim

tommyc03 and Amos 811 like this.
  8. Amos 811

Amos 811 DisMember

looked like one off the bat.

9. pennsteve

pennsteve Well-Known Member

I know nothing about this, but this is what I got from a website:

"Also it can look like railroad tracks if the coin has edge reeding.

People call dimes, quarters, half dollars and large dollars "Railroad" rims when they're partial collar strike and some of the edge reeding is struck out of place."

Pennies don't have reeded edges.

10. Amos 811

Amos 811 DisMember

Last edited: Feb 14, 2016
  11. cpm9ball

That's the unfortunate part about this hobby. Someone sees something they've never seen before, and without hesitation gives it the name of something else they've never seen but heard that it exists.

Four people in the world? I guess that must definitely be a majority!

Chris

tomfiggy, tommyc03 and paddyman98 like this.
  12. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

I'm don't agree with that description. A Partial Collar Strike looks like a Train Wheel not a Railroad Track. Here is a picture of train wheels
    Capture.JPG

Now look at a few examples of Partial Collar aka "Railroad Rim" That I own.. can you see the similarity between the coin and the train wheel.. not the tracks! It's that simple.
    20160214_181940.jpg
    20160214_182049.jpg

13. Mark Oliver

Mark Oliver Active Member

You coin guys are like purist home brew guys, you get all screwed up by splitting hairs and then forget about how you split so many hairs. And the rest of us are like...ummm. Why aren't those two photos provided by paddy not an "edge" rather than a "rim"? They are 2 different things, right. Or are we now supposed to subjectively decide what is a rim and what is an edge.

14. Amos 811

Amos 811 DisMember

so, paddy shows examples of railroad edges, and i was looking at railroad rims?

paddyman98 likes this.
  15. cpm9ball

It didn't look like railroad rims on those FleaBay listings to me.

Paddy referred to them as railroad rims, not edges.

Chris

paddyman98 likes this.
  16. Amos 811

Amos 811 DisMember

still learning, thanks for your input friend.

17. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

Comes from old terminology. The coin that paddy showed has been call "railroad rims" for decades even though it is on the edge of the coin and not the rim, probably because it looks like the extended rim of the railroad wheel. That is the problem with "names" they can cause confusion. People see "railroad rim" and they look at the rim. And the rim can have a similar appearance, a raised secondary rim. But that is called either finning when it is caused by metal squeezing up between the collar and neck of the die, or a collar clash when it is cased by the portion of the die that forms the rim having hit the edge of the collar. The proper term is a partial collar, which also explains how it occurs, the planchet was only partially in the collar.

In the case of this coin the reason the letters are merging into the rim is two fold. One is simple wear, and two the master hub for the cent had seen decades of ue and over time it had broadened from use. As it did so the lettering moved out further and further from the center. The when the die was turned in the lathe to the proper diameter this meant the lettering got closer and closer to the rims. Buy 1968 the L in LIBERTY and the tops of IGWT were often beginning to merge with the rim. In 1969 a brand new master hub was created that reduced the size of the bust, sharpened the details, and moved the inscriptions in closer to the center and away from the rims. If you put a 1968 cent next to a 1969 you will see the changes are rather dramatic.

tommyc03 and Amos 811 like this.
  18. chrism210

chrism210 New Member

Then when they say railroad edge, what kind of error is that exactly?

19. Pickin and Grinin

Pickin and Grinin Well-Known Member

This is an old thread Chris.
    Welcome to CT.
    This thread has quite a few coins to pick one out. Which coin are you referring to?

Amos 811 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted