1968 no mint mark Roosevelt Dime

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by kangayou, Feb 2, 2010.

1. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

OK Allen Kanavel, whose name is Mark.......Welcome to the forum and post some pics........:)

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Lon Chaney

Lon Chaney Well-Known Member

Yeah we need pics. Is it a proof or not?

4. saltysam-1

saltysam-1 Junior Member

Old county boys are the best. We trusted them to be straight and true in the Civil War. They did their best and are still the gentlemen of our country. Welcome. I live in Chicago where nothing grows upward but on concrete.

5. Lon Chaney

You going to the central states show?

6. Maes daughter

Maes daughter Member

Hello, I'm an newby also. So be nice. I've have an question on an 1986 error penny that's very funny to me. Liberty) it says llberty not liberty. No mint mark. B

7. green18

Start a new thread and post some pics of what ya have.......and welcome to the forum dear Lady. :)

8. Maes daughter

Maes daughter Member

Just did pictures soon.

green18 likes this.
  9. Maes daughter

Maes daughter Member

Attached Files:

10. green18

Post the pic in the 'error section' Mae. You'll receive many responses......

ldhair likes this.
  11. Maes daughter

Maes daughter Member

Not good with this site. How? If you have time to type directions lol.

12. pennsteve

pennsteve Well-Known Member

It says liberty. The L either got damaged or it was struck through grease. Based on what looks like a ring going around the outside edge, I'd say the L was damaged by a coin rolling machine.

Maes daughter likes this.
  13. JoeCool

JoeCool New Member

I know this is an old post but I have a 1968 Dime with no mint markings... Upon research, it seems that I may have a philly version which was also made without markings and worth about .10 lol. However I figured that since I'm not really sure what a "proof" coin looks like, I would upload a few pics fotr you pros to let me know what you think! Thanks in advance!

14. green18

Here we go again.........

Got any pictures?

bdunnse likes this.
  15. bdunnse

bdunnse Who dat?

Way to take point green! Brave.

green18 likes this.
  16. JoeCool

JoeCool New Member

Yessir...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

screenshot software

17. l.cutler

l.cutler Member

Just a normal Philly dime unfortunately. The odds of a no mintmark proof showing up in circulation are pretty much zero.

18. green18

Just a well traveled business strike Joe.

ldhair likes this.
  19. JoeCool

JoeCool New Member

I am an uber noob at this coin collecting thing but am trying to learn as I go... What makes this coin, not the one?

20. Lon Chaney

21. green18

@JoeCool

Check out these photos Joe. I've employed a regular business strike, pulled from my pocket change, and a 1970 (S) proof. Although it's not a '68 the process for making proof issues does not change from year to year and the differences between the two methods of manufacture should be most evident.

DSC_2307-horz.jpg

DSC_2309-horz.jpg

Quite obviously, the business strike is on the left. Now compare the rims of the two coins. The proof exhibits a well struck sharp and squared off rim while the business strike lacks definition and is slightly rounded. The fields of the proof are mirrored and even on an impaired proof (a proof coin that has seen circulation) you will still see some of this mirrored effect. Hope this helps.......:)

Draft saved Draft deleted