1968 no mint mark dime I'm curious if this is worth anything .

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by James1q19, Aug 19, 2017.

1. James1q19

James1q19 New Member

I'm curious if this coin is worth anything I have no knowledge of coins and I know it's In very bad shape lol Screenshot_20170819-070039.png I have this dime and I'm curious if it's worth anything at all. I have no knowledge of coins so Screenshot_20170819-070032.png

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. rickmp

rickmp Frequently flatulent.

upload_2017-8-19_8-34-23.png

That's a Philadelphia minted dime.
    They didn't have mint marks.
    It's worth ten cents.

TypeCoin971793 likes this.
  4. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

The OP is probably wondering if it is a 1968 "No S" proof dime.:banghead:

Chris

u812? likes this.
  5. cladking

cladking Coin Collector

It's a regular Philly mint dime rather than the scarce San Francisco proof with no Mint Mark. Even in worn condition you could tell it was a proof since it would have square rims.

6. ken454

ken454 Well-Known Member

yes, 10 cents......

7. cladking

cladking Coin Collector

"Worth" is a funny and complex concept.

The dime has a "value" of ten cents only because there are millions of these surviving and virtually no demand. But how few will be left when someone does desire to own one for a collection? There are already so few that when one is found it often sparks a question like this. Indeed, look at a handful of dimes and there may be none lacking a mintmark. This is because all the pre-1980 dimes are getting long in the tooth and large numbers have been lost or destroyed. Meanwhile mintages of this coin are continuing to increase since so many are lost each year.

This dime isn't the finest specimen for the date but it's very representative, typical. It could easily fit in a collection for weeks or months until a nicer one was found.

This date accounts for only about 1 coin in nine rolls now days. With effort a low end XF can be located. Finding a pristine Unc is getting pretty difficult since mint set coins of this date are usually tarnished.

8. Amy Shaver

Amy Shaver New Member

So how can you tell if a dime is a rare no S or just a Philadelphia one? This coin collecting is all new and very confusing to me, Id appreciate any tips or guides that are simple to get me started

9. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

Google - 1968 No S Proof Dime

10. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

Draft saved Draft deleted