1968 Mexican 25 peso Olympic

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by Logger, Jan 8, 2009.

1. Logger

Logger Junior Member

Struck to commemorate the 1968 Olympics in Mexico City, each of these 25 Peso coins features the Olympic symbol and an Aztec dancer on the obverse, while the reverse shows an Eagle design most often seen on Mexican coinage. Each is struck in .7200 fine silver and contains .5209 ounces of pure silver.

Any thoughts as to what this is worth and where i can market some of these? Inherited a few of these.

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. willieboyd2

willieboyd2 First Class Poster

They are very common and only worth what the silver in them is.

4. Logger

Logger Junior Member

Value of 1968 Mexican Olympic 25 peso coin

Are you suggesting that these are only worth .5209 ounce x spot price (approx $11.00 a few minutes ago) or $5.73 ea??? Think i'll hang on to them for a while (maybe forever)! Melt them down...or something! Maybe i didn't mention that these are uncirculated in plastic bubble wraps...somehow don't think that would make a difference in your valuation.

Someone had them on Coinbug for $C20.

5. Logger

Logger Junior Member

25 peso mexican coins

Sorry to sound so sceptical...probably because i was expecting much more. Need to reevaluated what i am going to do with these coins.

Thanks anyway!

6. jaceravone

jaceravone Member

Hey Logger, I just went on a couple of world coin web sites and most of them were selling this coin between $8-10. I have bought a couple of these at my local coin shop for no more than $5. Good luck.

7. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

Logger,

In another thread, you mentioned types 1,2,3 so I assumed you had all 3 types. Type 3 ( serpent tongue modified) is much rarer than type 2 ( low center ring ) than type 1 normal ( common) position of center ring. If you do decide to offer them yourself, you might group them , one of each type. Here on the border of Mexico they come into the gold/silver exchange often as bullion, some still in rolls. They are checked for varieties in the store as one of the clerks is a foreign coin collector.

Jim

8. willieboyd2

willieboyd2 First Class Poster

I have a few still in the plastic wrappers too, I was planning to sell them on Ebay,
    so I looked up the values in Krause Publications "Standard Catalog of World Coins".

I went by what the Krause catalog says about them being worth only bullion value.

9. Logger

Logger Junior Member

1968 Mexican coins

Hey Jim...you are right on. This collection did have type1, 2, and 3 coins. Seems they should have some value over the type 1s. Dad was sure these coins would be of more value (he probably paid that much for them back when). Really hate to part with them for bullion value. Particularly the type 2 and 3's.

10. snakeflake

snakeflake Junior Member

I see a lotof these on Ebay now, but they areall type 1.

11. donawild

donawild New Member

I have 2, type 3's. Low rings, straight thicker snake tongue.......Value?

12. Hiddendragon

Hiddendragon World coin collector

I see them on eBay all the time but they sell for more than melt value. I think you could get at least $10 apiece for them. I collect Mexican coins and I'm always surprised what these go for.

13. xlrcable

xlrcable Active Member

I agree that the current eBay price is about $10 (for the type 1), but some sellers seem to do significantly better by providing really usable photographs.

14. mlov43

mlov43 주화 수집가

This is pretty typical for many commemoratives, esp. "olympics" commemorative coins. The hosting-country's central bank or mint almost always thinks they'll be super-popular. But like a lot of things associated with the olympics, that isn't always the case (just look at all the rotting former olympic venues scattered around the world!). Usually what happens is that they make far too many coins. After the 1988 Seoul olympics, coin retailers in Korea complained that they had lots of excess commems left over after the event was over, and demanded that the Bank of Korea buy them BACK from them! Basically, they made too many coins, and in too many varieties of each coin (mint strikes and proof strikes). As a consequence, Korean olympic commems are some of the cheapest silver coins you can find because they have little numismatic value (currently, anyway) past melt. It seems your Mexican olympic commem is a victim of similar circumstances.

Common, and lots of examples in higher grades...
    Sometimes, that's just the way I like my silver, though!

Paul M. likes this.
  15. stldanceartist

stldanceartist Minister of Silly Walks

Thought I'd share my favorite one of these that I've kept:

Mexico - 1968 25 Pesos.jpg

16. xlrcable

xlrcable Active Member

Yeah, another reminder of how people in the 1960s would buy something like this certain that it would "be worth something someday." Oh wait - they're still doing it.

My grandfather left one of these 25 pesos behind, and I'm sure it's not worth what he paid in inflation-adjusted terms; fortunately the sentimental value has done very well.

17. Numismat

Numismat World coin enthusiast

I can't really think of any modern Mexican silver that sells for only melt in nice condition, aside from direct buy where the asking price is that. On bids they go cheap only with listing issues like really bad photos, lack of keywords and/or incorrect category.

18. Silverino

Silverino Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted