1968 kennedy half dollar die crack?

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by Moesizzle, Jun 23, 2018.

1. Moesizzle

Moesizzle Member

Hey guys what are your thoughts on the lines going through this coin. Doesnt appear to be scratches but I am far from a coin expert.

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. SlipperySocks

SlipperySocks Well-Known Member

It seems to be damage at first glance because it looks like they extend onto the rim at both ends. Are the lines raised off the coin or do they seem dug into the coin? Can you get some better pics?

4. Moesizzle

Moesizzle Member

The lines seemed to be raised rather than dug in. Screenshot_20180623-224407_Gallery.jpg Screenshot_20180623-213940_Gallery.jpg

5. SlipperySocks

Well my first thought was a razor knife but they do seem raised so I'd say you may have a struck through coin. Possibly a wire brush bristle. Hard to say without actually holding the coin. See If anyone else chimes in.
    A keeper in my book, but nothing of any notable value beyond the cool factor.

6. Moesizzle

Moesizzle Member

Great thanks for the honest opinion. Hopefully someone else can give their opinion. Just got a massive coin collection I have no idea what I'm going to do with and I'm hunting it for fun :)

7. NLL

NLL Well-Known Member

That is a cool find and certainly would have a place in my collection.

8. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

It is to straight to be a Die Crack.. I will say PMD - Post Mint Damage

There are also some obvious scratches on the neck.

Moesizzle likes this.
  9. Mountain Man

Mountain Man Supporter! Supporter

Very strange that the line(s) bisect the coin perfectly.

10. Moesizzle

Moesizzle Member

I know right? It's very odd and doesnt appear to be a scratch.

11. Moesizzle

Moesizzle Member

12. Mountain Man

Mountain Man Supporter! Supporter

Makes me think it was done purposely, but for what reason? PMD

13. Moesizzle

Moesizzle Member

14. SlipperySocks

Hmm. So, are the two bars like curbs above the surface of the coin? (This would mean it was not struck through and is a real mystery)

Or,

Are The Two Bars Like motes below the coins surface with the edges raised? (This would mean it is most likely struck through)

15. Moesizzle

Moesizzle Member

Screenshot_20180624-181342_Gallery.jpg They are like curbs sticking up. Heres the best close up I can take. Screenshot_20180624-180816_Gallery.jpg Screenshot_20180624-180438_Gallery.jpg Screenshot_20180624-180351_Gallery.jpg Screenshot_20180624-180335_Gallery.jpg

16. SlipperySocks

A strike through would leave indentations below the surface of the coin so it isn't a strike through. So then there are two raised bumps on the rim of the coin? Maybe the die got damaged/gouged at the mint and struck a few before it was caught but you will need a pro to tell you what is going on with this not me. Someone like @Fred Weinberg.

17. Moesizzle

Moesizzle Member

Yeah I would love to know what it might be. Do you have his email or something?

18. SlipperySocks

No, but supposedly typing his name like I did will bring his attention to your post.

Moesizzle likes this.
  19. Putmeister

Putmeister Member

Off-post question. Do small die cracks add any value?

20. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

No

21. SlipperySocks

Looking at this coin again I cannot help but think it is struck through a wire brush bristle.

Draft saved Draft deleted