1968 D Roosevelt Dime

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by love old coins, May 27, 2021.

1. love old coins

love old coins Well-Known Member

This dime has a weird looking 8 in the date...I actually found two with nearly the same issue but the photos of the other one didn't come out as well. I was hoping for some insight from y'all because I have no idea what this is, if it's anything worth talking about. The picture of the rim is blurry, I know, but there didn't appear to be any disruptions in the continuity of the rim. Please don't be mean with your comments...remember, I'm new at all of this and I look up to you guys for advice and knowledge.

Attached Files:

PamR and SensibleSal66 like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. SensibleSal66

SensibleSal66 U.S Casual Collector / Error Collector

First of all . Sorry that you've had past bad experiences with responses .
    With that said . Realistically , It's hard to make out anything from your Photo's. Can use provide better Pics > I recommend editing programs . One is called LunaPic ( free and No download ) and the other is PhotoScape ( DL and Free ) .
    Good Luck

love old coins and PamR like this.
  4. Oldhoopster

Oldhoopster Member of the ANA since 1982

Sorry, but they are PMD. That can't occur during the minting or die making process

5. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

I gotta go with damaged in this one.

love old coins, PamR and Stevearino like this.
  6. GH#75

GH#75 Trying to get 8 hours of sleep in 4. . .

Its wear and a weak strike. very common on 1968 dimes, I've seen plenty myself. Keep looking.

love old coins likes this.
  7. RogerC

RogerC Well-Known Member

Any chance that could be a strike through? Doesn't look like a normal hit job to me.

8. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

Not all damage comes from a hit. It can be damaged in a dryer, heat or acid to name a few. And let us not forget a coin found in a parking lot that's been run over,

9. Mountain Man

Mountain Man Well-Known Member

Sorry, but appears to be normal wear from circulation and being tossed around. Better photos, FULL IMAGE might help those of us that are visually challenged.

10. Mr.Q

Mr.Q Well-Known Member

Ditto, PMD. Keep searching and posting, good luck

11. Sidney Osborne

Sidney Osborne Well-Known Member

Thought I had something when I found my first one, then gradually found more and more...common...wear from many sources (as mentioned)...

12. PlanoSteve

PlanoSteve Well-Known Member

@love old coins, while this one's fairly easy to assess with the pics you provided, in the future, anytime you are asking for an assessment of a coin, please also provide the reverse of the coin (We are, after all, coin people, & we like to see the whole coin...but more importantly, sometimes the other side will give us important clues.)

While your coin does seem to show a fair amount of circulation wear, please know that Denver alone produced 480,748,280 coins that year, & some of those dies got worn out. I think you have 2 things going against your coin.

Now, regarding:
    I'm confused by your handle, "love old coins", yet you posted a '68 dime! In coin years, this dime is an adolescent, just entering jr. high school! :D:p:joyful:;)

Keep up the good search! Do you have a "Red Book" yet?

love old coins, PamR and Stevearino like this.
  13. PamR

PamR You Never Know! Supporter

Lol yes “68” to someone seems long ago! Boo hoo! I was age 5!

Last edited: May 27, 2021
    love old coins and PlanoSteve like this.
  14. thomas mozzillo

thomas mozzillo Well-Known Member

It looks like it was struck with a very slightly misaligned die. That being the case, numbers and letters so close to the rim never strike up clean. IMO.

15. love old coins

I haven't had bad experiences with responses, thank goodness. However, I have read many replies to other threads that were downright rude/mean and I just think that there's nothing to be gained by acting that way. Thank you for the advice Sal...I will look into those editing programs and see if an old dog can learn new tricks!

16. love old coins

I know my pictures are not the greatest...I'm on a fixed income and can't afford the microscope that takes those terrific pics we see on some threads. I shake a little when trying to photograph things and on top of that, my phone is a $60 android. Sorry but as you can see, it doesn't leave me with many options. I'm going to look into what @SensibleSal66 suggested and if I can get the hang of it, I will attempt better shots of the dime.

Mountain Man likes this.
  17. love old coins

No, I don't have a Red Book yet and your comment made me chuckle about the adolescent dime! You're right, it's not very old but still putting things together so that when my youngest child (24) gets my collection after I pass away, it'll be really old then. Only one of my three kids has her life together and goals in mind and I know that she will take good care of my collection when the time comes. Until then, I must try to assemble as much of a complete collection as I possibly can.

PlanoSteve and PamR like this.
  18. love old coins

I was 8 in 1968 so we are fairly close in age...nice to meet you @PamR!

19. love old coins

Thank you all for your help and advice!

20. PamR

PamR You Never Know! Supporter

Aww understand completely. Yes and even some of the shiniest coins, newer coins I’m keeping for my son and grandkids.

21. cplradar

cplradar Talmud Chuchum

We used to have these little plastic toy guns and little plastic frezbies fit in them and when you shot it, they would fling the platic out and we would shoot at squirels, pigeons and each other. It didn't take long for us to discover that dimes also worked in them.

Draft saved Draft deleted