1968 D Penny date error

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by Michelle0128, Oct 22, 2018.

1. Michelle0128

Michelle0128 New Member

Hello everyone, I am new to coin collecting but after reading through past threads I do believe I am in the right place for great feedback.
    I have found a 1968 D Lincoln cent that has something odd going on with the 6 and 8 in the date. Is this a common error or is it even an error at all? If anyone can help I would greatly appreciate it. A455C992-1EF1-4073-A704-A54F8EA5D185.jpeg 2A0BBEE6-3C73-40AD-A64B-B588F696ECEB.png

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

The odd looking numeral 8 is a hit. Most likely as a result from a coin wrapper crimping machine. You can see a faint circular scratch abouve the numerals leading to the date. Il
    It is not a Mint Error but Post Mint Damage.

We see these a lot with the same question.

Welcome to CoinTalk

4. paddyman98

This is how it occurs. If someone presses the roll to the machine a bit to hard it could damage the end coin. semacon-cm-65-crimper.jpg

5. Michelle0128

Michelle0128 New Member

Thank you!

paddyman98 likes this.
  6. Michelle0128

Michelle0128 New Member

I also have another coin I would like to ask about. I’ve noticed it is much different than other Nickels I have seen, Is this anything important? 3D7D0658-D3E8-427C-8405-34B15B331122.jpeg 0730B6F5-074A-4830-9D98-08BE38C13F0D.jpeg

7. paddyman98

8. tammiGee

tammiGee Active Member

Does the reverse look like circulation wear or perhaps a grease fill or a die attrition punch to you? I've been studying wear on Jefferson's and have seen a few attrition errors on one side and a decent punch on the other.

9. paddyman98

I see no Attrition Error at all. Looks like a normal circulated Wartime Nickel.

Oldhoopster likes this.
  10. tammiGee

tammiGee Active Member

The change in metals used is causing premature wear you think. I see a lot of older Jeffs than that with half that wear on the reverse. I was wondering why the 42-45's were so torn up. I bet the meteorologists didn't put enough thought into that for just a 4 year change. I got a war nickel the other day in change and it was a smoothie.

11. paddyman98

I think that 75 years if circulation between the time it was minted until now is the culprit! I have seen more modern Nickels that look in worse shape than the one just shown.

12. tammiGee

tammiGee Active Member

Say a quick question, can you hurt a token with a soap and water cleaning? Not so much value wise but physically? I think this one is made of tin. Sounds like a fender washer when dropped on marble...

Draft saved Draft deleted