1968-D mint mark

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by khalil elara, Nov 19, 2017.

1. khalil elara

khalil elara Active Member

i find this cent in my collection funny the mint mark is completely filled what kind of error is this how many of u out there in ct land agree with the first grader???????? 1964 d cent.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

Looks like it took a hit. Circulation wear and tear.

4. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

There are two possibilities:
    1) The coin metal post that forms the center of the mintmark broke off and allowed metal to flow into the void. Ordinarily, when this happens, you can see the outline of the inner wall of the letter. I said ordinarily because it is possible that the die break and the letter have worn down in circulation.
    2) The other possibility is that the letter, itself, has simply filled in this space through normal wear and tear.

Chris

5. Oldhoopster

Oldhoopster Member of the ANA since 1982

I agree with What Chris said.

It could be a die chip, but since the coin has a lot of wear and damage from circulation, my guess is that it's circulation damage. Either way, there the coin is worth face value. Hope this helps.

EDIT: actually, the more I look at it, the more it looks like a die chip filled the center of the D. However, still no additional value

6. Alcoinsandcards

Alcoinsandcards Active Member

Probably a die chip or possibly wear. I see a ton of die chips on the mint mark like that I don’t even keep them. Filled in mintmarks are very common

7. khalil elara

khalil elara Active Member

thanks for all who replies to my post

Draft saved Draft deleted