1968 D lincoln cent dropped element?

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by Avery G., Mar 7, 2021.

1. Avery G.

Avery G. Active Member

On the reverse, i noticed in the memorial bldg above the image what appeared to be a dropped design element from the face of bldg above where image is. What is this? Error or not? I believe it's a dropped element. Anyone has knowledge on this?
    20210306_185911~2.jpg 20210306_190323~2.jpg 0124-31~2.jpg

SensibleSal66 likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. SensibleSal66

SensibleSal66 U.S Casual Collector / Error Collector

Not sure , you mean above Lincoln ? Looks like a spot.

4. expat

expat Remember you are unique, just like everyone else Supporter

Same size and shape as the designs between the horizontals above him. But whether this is a dropped element is beyond my experience level. Wait for others

5. Kevin Mader

Kevin Mader Fellow Coin Enthusiast Supporter

Looks like a punch mark or maybe from a nail.

Oldhoopster likes this.
  6. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

A Dropped Element, retained or not, is the strikethrough of an accumulation of grease and debris that builds up in the recesses of a device and hardens from repeatedly striking planchets as they enter the coining chamber. They can take on all sorts of shapes. It may take the complete shape of a device or just a portion of one. Some don't really look like anything, and you just have to guess where they may have originated.

Below are some examples that I found in one Mint $50 bag of 1980 Lincoln Cents.

1980 1c Retained Strikethrough _1.jpg

1980 1c Retained Strikethrough _2.jpg 1980 1c Strikethrough _1.jpg 1980 1c Strikethrough _2.jpg 1980 1c Strikethrough _3.jpg 1980 1c Strikethrough _4.jpg 1980 1c Strikethrough _5.jpg 1980 1c Strikethrough _6.jpg 1980 1c Strikethrough _7.jpg

7. Robert Ransom

Robert Ransom Well-Known Member

8. Avery G.

Avery G. Active Member

Through the use of overlay, i determined that the anomaly on the obverse neck area was as a result of the said error on reverse. The second pic shows damage below the neck area that is obviously different from the anomaly on neck. Shape appears similar to the error on reverse.

20210306_185959~2.jpg 0307-6~2.jpg 0307_1~2.jpg

9. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

It looks like the coin took a hit to me. Not a dropped element, not a strikethrough.

Mountain Man and Oldhoopster like this.
  10. Pickin and Grinin

Pickin and Grinin Well-Known Member

The neck is a bag mark and the reverse is damage. I see nothing that resembles a dropped element.
    @Avery G. please explain how a dropped filling can affect both the obverse and reverse at the same time?

Oldhoopster likes this.
  11. Oldhoopster

Oldhoopster Member of the ANA since 1982

Agree with the others, it looks like a hit or punch mark. The center of the circle is indented on the coin. That wouldn't happen on a dropped element error. The raised area is displaced metal from the hit

What design element matches the shape of the anomaly?

Pickin and Grinin likes this.
  12. eddiespin

eddiespin Fast Eddie

I think you're stretching a little, here. If you could manage to re-describe in less-obscure diction we might have a chance of getting somewhere. Nonetheless from what I can decipher your "dropped element" isn't going to show on the other side, so forget that theory, and get back to the reverse. Certainly the shape is right for a dropper, and that black area within is quite typical of these errors, as well. Notice I didn't say these "anomalies." That's because I'm trying to communicate rather than obfuscate. Fuzzy terms obfuscate, they don't communicate.

Having said that, and provided you're still with me, take a look at Chris' pics. It would be helpful if we had some of like clarity and sharpness in assessing this "error." Try to get us some of it, just like Chris'. I'm seeing Nessie the Loch Ness Monster in your pics for all the good they're doing from any diagnostic standpoint. Get us those and we'll re-start there. We need that precision in a question like this. This has a chance. I wouldn't be asking if it didn't.

13. Avery G.

Avery G. Active Member

I will attempt to get better pics.

14. Avery G.

Avery G. Active Member

Here are 2 more pics. If this is a dropped element, it would explain the dark area(dropped filling) around the element that was dropped. The size and shape of the anomaly is evidence of its similarity to the design on horizontal face of memorial over area of dropped element. Given the size of the tiny area of said anomaly, to say that it took a hit or that it's damage doesn't make sense. Something hit the coin and made an image of the same size and shape of a specific design already present on coin is unbelievable to me. New errors are discovered now and again, right? It's more likely to be a dropped element, than damage of some sort. Imo

0307-4~2.jpg 0307_1~3.jpg

15. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

It looks like raised metal on all sides so I'm thinking PMD.

Kevin Mader likes this.
  16. Pickin and Grinin

Pickin and Grinin Well-Known Member

17. Oldhoopster

Oldhoopster Member of the ANA since 1982

Obviously, you have your mind made up regardless of the information provided. Next time you're positive you have a hard to find error, just send it to CONECA for attribution.

https://conecaonline.org/attribution-services/

ANACS and ICG also provides error attribution at reasonable rates.

If the consensus of members on CT (many who are error experts) don't think you have anything, you'll absolutely need third party attribution for anybody to believe its an error.

Edit to add:

When you said in post 13 "...if this Is a dropped element, it would explain the dark area (dropped filling)..." Makes no sense. Do you really know know how a dropped element occurs? The "dropped filling" isn't going to leave a stain.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2021
  18. potty dollar 1878

potty dollar 1878 Well-Known Member

looks like damage to me sometimes people just can't accept the truth.

19. Mr.Q

Mr.Q Well-Known Member

PMD in my opinion. Better luck next time.

20. Kevin Mader

Kevin Mader Fellow Coin Enthusiast Supporter

As Collecting Nut notes, in the earlier pictures it appears that there is raised/displaced material around the indentation. That and the shape is what led me to believe it was a mark made by a nail or a pick/punch. You have the coin so you should be able to see if that's the case or not and as Oldhoopster suggests, you have options to pursue that are low/lower cost for an expert opinion (i.e. CONECA).

Collecting Nut likes this.
  21. Avery G.

Avery G. Active Member

No offense guys. Tell me why it can not be a dropped element. Instead of being offended. That will show off your knowledge and validate you as a knowledgeable coin collector, and yes, new coin collectors like to understand why you're saying what you're saying about the coin. If that's asking too much, i apologize for all of us.

Draft saved Draft deleted