1968 D half dollar strike through

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by potty dollar 1878, Apr 24, 2022.

1. potty dollar 1878

potty dollar 1878 Well-Known Member

Don't recall if I posted this before its in the original mint packaging.Has to be one of the smallest mustaches in the world!!!.Third picture of it is backwards and it appears to also be Kennedys lost pair of miniature glasses!!. IMG_20220424_100747.jpg IMG_20220424_100815.jpg IMG_20220424_101109.jpg IMG_20220424_101452.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Pickin and Grinin

Pickin and Grinin Well-Known Member

Bag contact from a reeded edge.

4. potty dollar 1878

Are you being seriouso_Oo_Oso your saying the edge of another coin magically moved around and carved out the spot in question.I don't think you looked hard enough,the spot in question is to perfectly formed to be a bag mark.No signs of any raised or pushed metal and the coin is pretty marked but this one is completely different.

SensibleSal66 likes this.
  5. SensibleSal66

SensibleSal66 U.S Casual Collector / Error Collector

Struck through Inch worm! :p
    :hilarious: It's Sunday, Be nice and no arguing boys. ;)

6. Pickin and Grinin

The metal is pushed up on the upper side reeded edge damage.

potty dollar 1878 likes this.
  7. potty dollar 1878

Not seeing it,if your reffering to the right corner for the fourth picture thats just a glare caused by the plastic it does make it look like pushed metal.

8. Pickin and Grinin

That is the most common mark we have gotten questions about for the past 10 or more years.
    What makes yours different?

9. potty dollar 1878

What makes mine different?OK obviously it seems like you actually didn't look at it.Focuse on the(mark)in the close ups and try to find a picture from a different coin with a mark that looks exactly like the one in question,good luck.If you don't want to do that I'm still going with what I originally said unless a veteran comes in and says otherwise.

10. Inspector43

Inspector43 Celebrating 75 Years Active Collecting Supporter

I would suggest that if you have a caliper you could measure the mark against a representative section of the coin edge. If it happened after the strike it would have been another half that made the mark. That may help resolving the issue.

11. expat

expat Remember you are unique, just like everyone else Supporter

I am no coin veteran but that is a classic hit from the reeded edge of another coin

12. Pickin and Grinin

I have been looking at errors and variety's since you were in diapers.
    I see nothing different about your reeded edge than every other coin that even you have called a bag mark.
    Good luck

potty dollar 1878 and expat like this.
  13. potty dollar 1878

Ok I'll give and agree with damage,the mark in question isn't your average bag mark though.It isn't like the average uniform square shapes which is why I was so convinced.This one is a pretty odd one,im just grumpy haven't had my morning tea yet.

Fallguy and Inspector43 like this.
  14. potty dollar 1878

Nope don't have one of those.

Inspector43 likes this.
  15. eddiespin

eddiespin Fast Eddie

I can't believe this is the first time you noticed one of these. Now concentrate; look here...

Attached Files:

16. Pickin and Grinin

It has been brought up many times thru the years that some of these marks can be a struck thru from a piece of finned rim, I am not doubting that.
    There honestly isn't any value in a coin with this kind of mark.
    The numis world has deemed them damage.

17. potty dollar 1878

My original thought was struck through foregin material,it looks completely different compared to any other hit.To me it looked odd enough and to consistent to be damage.I have never seen a reeding hit(damage)like this before and will document it so I won't get confused again.

Fallguy and Pickin and Grinin like this.
  18. potty dollar 1878

No added value?still has around $4 of silver in it;)not going to sell anytime soon though.

Inspector43 likes this.
  19. Cowinthehole

Cowinthehole Active Member

It's quite common, I got a 2022 quarter right here with that damage lol (Right beside eye lol)

It kind of looks like Washington is wearing mascara lol

eddiespin likes this.
  20. eddiespin

eddiespin Fast Eddie

Don't give Variety Vista any ideas. :)

21. Mountain Man

Mountain Man Well-Known Member

image.gif

Attached Files:

Draft saved Draft deleted