1968 D Error Penny?

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by ReecaDae, Aug 11, 2019.

1. ReecaDae

ReecaDae New Member

I have this penny that I'm pretty sure is an error coin but looking around the interwebs I can't find one like this so I'm unsure if this happened during production or after... Help?

Attached Files:

Autoturf likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

Welcome to the neighborhood!

It looks like it is a "dryer coin". In other words, it was stuck between the inner and outer drums of the machine, and the heat and continual bouncing around caused the deformities.

Chris

4. Pete Apple

Pete Apple Well-Known Member

It may be a die attrition error.
    Notice the last photo in this reference:
    http://www.error-ref.com/die-attrition-error/

Also see Coin World June 9, 2014 article on Die Errors by Mike Diamond Page 66.

However I am not ready to rule out dryer coin either.

The case for damage is this:
    Mike Diamond says (about the following coin): "This is post-strike damage. Metal was relocated from the edge and rim to the peripheral field and letters in the form of a thin apron."
    Rim Metal just inside.jpg

Last edited: Aug 11, 2019
  5. cpm9ball

I copied this from error-ref.com:

"A die attrition error is generated when a temporarily misaligned hammer die smacks repeatedly against the beveled entrance of the collar. This wears away the edge of the field portion of the die and sometimes the entire rim gutter. This leaves the coin with an unstruck, raised crescent on the face struck by the hammer die. The internal margin of the crescent is smooth. Particularly severe die attrition errors can leave peripheral letters significantly truncated."

The OP's coin appears to have damage to both sides.

Chris

6. Hookman

Hookman Well-Known Member

I can't say what it is, but for my money, it's different enough to put in your "Oddities" box and save for what we call "Show and Tell" : Whatever the final call is, you'll be able to Show it to your friends and Tell them about it.

Welcome to Coin Talk !! the Best Little Coin Chat Site on the interwebs, where even a plain coin gets a plain answer.
    Always feel free to post your photos and questions. We are all happy to help.

Autoturf likes this.
  7. Pete Apple

Chris I think you are correct! I shot from the hip a little too quickly! Sometimes I think this stuff is going to drive me crazy, but then I realize that I am close enough to walk!

Autoturf likes this.
  8. cpm9ball

Are you kidding? When I shoot from the hip, I usually hit my foot.

Chris:hilarious:

Autoturf likes this.
  9. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

Looks like it was stuck in a dryer like Chris said. I doubt it was there for a long period but copper is soft and a dryer produces enough heat to move the metal as the dryers drum spins around.

Welcome to CT.

10. Michael K

Michael K Well-Known Member

Coins don't leave the mint looking like this.

11. Pete Apple

:banghead::banghead:

12. ReecaDae

ReecaDae New Member

Thanks for the input everyone! Oh well, I will find my treasure someday! Alas, today was not my day... thwarted by the dryer machine.

Draft saved Draft deleted